cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lummins ?

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Looking @ replacing reading lights over bed, now has 11391F bulbs in them, will there be enough light to read by if I install 5050168 LED bulbs rated @ 160 Lummins. Thanks in advance.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.
13 REPLIES 13

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
fluffo2 wrote:
Tom, you may want to try these. 100% of the light can be directed through the lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BA15S-to-G4-GU4-GU5-3-Low-Voltage-Adapter-for-LED-Pack-of-5-/151412491792?ha...
Those would work well for a bayonet socket. I'm planning on replacing the florescent tubes in a couple of fixtures so I would need a different solution. I most likely will attach them to the fixture and solder wires directly to the pins.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

fluffo2
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, you may want to try these. 100% of the light can be directed through the lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BA15S-to-G4-GU4-GU5-3-Low-Voltage-Adapter-for-LED-Pack-of-5-/151412491792?hash=item2340e34610:g:vhAAAOSwDk5UF9o4

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Keep in mind, hotwire bulbs emit their lumens in all directions, an isotropic light source. LED typically emit their lumens in the direction they are facing.

Hotwire bulbs installed in small fixtures spend a good majority of their lumens heating the fixture and less than half those lumens are actually lighting the inside of the RV.
I think you're confusing lumens with watts. Lumens is a measure of light. A 100 lumen bulb produces the same amount of light whether it's incandescent or LED but the incandescent uses many more watts doing it.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
INDIVIDUAL LED's emit light in the direction they're pointing.

If you get LED conversion bulbs as pictured above, you will notice that the LEDs are arranged around a central cylinder so the end result is that the light is emitted in all directions.

End result is disappointment. It will be nowhere near as bright as the incandescent.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, hotwire bulbs emit their lumens in all directions, an isotropic light source. LED typically emit their lumens in the direction they are facing.

Hotwire bulbs installed in small fixtures spend a good majority of their lumens heating the fixture and less than half those lumens are actually lighting the inside of the RV.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I had to look to see what "Lummins" was. :B

I believe your lamps are 'IF' (inside frost), not '1F'.

A 1139IF lamp is 190 lumen, 160lm will be dimmer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased some LEDs on eBay. They are about 500 lumens. I bought 10 of them for $16.19 plus $2.59 shipping. They have a built in regulator so they will handle a wide range of voltages. I have not used any yet so I don't know if interference will be an issue. They don't come with any adapters so you would either have to modify the bulb or the fixture.

Cheap LEDs on eBay

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Minneapolis, MN

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Took a while to figure out your numbers... a 11391F is the same as a 1156 base. Your 5050168 LED is a over priced tail light bulb. 168 lumens is going to be borderline if it is not focused. When I search Ebay for 1156 led I get 20,000 hits. If the light fixture is in the right position, a spot light like this may be the answer. While something like this may be too much lite, it gives you a better idea what's available for $3.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My poor eyesight loves the 3000 lumens over my headboard. Not a typo, Three followed by three zeros - 30 actual watts. Enough to light up the whole room. But this might serve to show lumens quantity is subjective. Tough to plan. Start somewhere then add more light if needed.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the ability to put in a pair of light bulbs, it might be plenty of light.

For my bathroom, I took out the socket that holds the old lamp, and wired in two panels in each side of my twin pack light fixture. The panels that I used are 24 LED 5050 LED lights, with 4 of them on, I have more light than before, and it only draws 0.4 amps at 12 volts.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Considering the location 160 lumens should be enough, although you probably will notice that it's a bit less bright than the incandescent.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A 60w incandescent produces about 800 lumens. You will have to decide if it works for you.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)