cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum ME 2012 Inverter Charger not providing 120VAC

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, the 120vac is shut down in the MH by the inverter. I have tried to reset the inverter to no avail. The inverter works fine but the reset on the charger does not. Troubleshooting in the manual only instructs to hold the reset button, any ideas or suggestion? I have 120vac from the shore pwr to the inverter - I have 120vac on the 50amp breaker at the pwr panel.
Paul127
45 REPLIES 45

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
GBaxter wrote:
Paul127,

It sounds like when you have the inverter "ON" you have 120v power in the coach but if the inverter is "OFF" no power on the output side of the inverter and NO charging.

The next thing to check is with a ac volt meter you should have 120v at the input of the inverter on NEU IN and HOT IN 1. If there is no power there you have to go back to the panel and see where you lost power. You will need to remove the side cover on the inverter to access the terminals.

If there is power then the transfer relay board inside the inverter is bad. The board senses ac input and will close the relay which passes power to the loads and also powers the charger.

The AC Board is replaceable.

Gary

WHY would the OP do this when the his LAST post stated the problem is corrected??????? Doug

GBaxter
Explorer
Explorer
Paul127,

It sounds like when you have the inverter "ON" you have 120v power in the coach but if the inverter is "OFF" no power on the output side of the inverter and NO charging.

The next thing to check is with a ac volt meter you should have 120v at the input of the inverter on NEU IN and HOT IN 1. If there is no power there you have to go back to the panel and see where you lost power. You will need to remove the side cover on the inverter to access the terminals.

If there is power then the transfer relay board inside the inverter is bad. The board senses ac input and will close the relay which passes power to the loads and also powers the charger.

The AC Board is replaceable.

Gary

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Magnum 2012 inverter update. After taking Doug's suggestion to reset the inverter everything is operating correctly. Scary part is not knowing why the inverter tripped out. There are no resettable breakers on this unit so Doug nailed it, thanks Doug.
Paul127

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The system may not recognize two legs of 120 volt rather then a 120/240 connection. It should.
That is why I asked the OP to test running genset if equipped. The 30/50 adapter could have an open leg and the readings he is getting is back fed through some device

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Paul127 wrote:
Corkey05, yes I tried unplugging all three data lines from the inverter and letting it sit, no luck. I will reach out to tech support tomorrow. I don't understand how the system is wired, I have 120vac at the power distribution panel in the MH but not at the outlets. Confusing, I will have tech support explain it to me.

Paul

Disconnect the 12 volt power cable TO the Inverter and have No 120 power to the RV for 10 minutes, then reconnect the 12 volt battery cable and reconnect 120 power. THAT resets the Inverter. Magnum will NOT know how your 120 power distribution is set up. ALL Magnum can do is help you verify that you have 120 to the Inverter and how to verify you have 120 coming out without inverting. IF you have a bad Inverter 120 transfer switch, resetting will not fix that. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul,

Look at Figure 2-1 in the 2012 manual which shows the basic wiring. Since you don't have CBs in the unit I would expect that you have the sub panel or equivalent and those CBs could be tripped.

And your unit will be wired for 120V and not 240V operation.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you determine if the charger is actually working? Voltmeter required for this. If it is then you have power to the 2012.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paul127,

What I would expect is that power from your CB panel goes to the 2012 and then on the rig plugs. The transfer switch inside the unit switches between the incoming power and the inverter. This would be the basic wiring.

Having 120V at the panel does not mean that you have 120V at the 2012. Do you have 120V into the unit and 120V out of the unit on shore power?

Do you have a 30A CB in your panel for the unit? Since you don't have CB's in the unit I would expect to find them elsewhere. The suggestion to check GFCIs is a good one but that is not a CB. What else can you find?

Bob

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you have 120 power to the Inverter and NO output UNLESS you INVERT=-Your transfer relay is bad. Doug

Edit--The Inverter Internal Transfer relay.

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have tried the GFCI & starting the Genset, no change.
Paul127

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried disconnecting from shore power, starting genset and see what happens?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Paul,

Assume you have checked the GFI's for the outlets and that resetting them does not help.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Paul127
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05, yes I tried unplugging all three data lines from the inverter and letting it sit, no luck. I will reach out to tech support tomorrow. I don't understand how the system is wired, I have 120vac at the power distribution panel in the MH but not at the outlets. Confusing, I will have tech support explain it to me.

Paul
Paul127

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Paul127 wrote:
Corkey05, my version of the ME2012 does not have the resettable breakers. I wish it did.
Paul, gotcha.

Did you try unplugging the control panel? I've had to do that a couple of times, and the ME2012 takes right off.

If none of that works it looks like tech support is in your future. Magnum has good tech support, but it never seems to fail a problem like this surfaces on the weekend.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292