cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave Not Working on Generator Power

patrick_
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason my microwave has no power when I have the generator powered up, but it works fine when I am plugged into shore power.

I don't recall having this issue last year (we have had the rig about a year now) but I also don't recall using the micro when the generator is running. We did use the AC last summer with no issues.

Am I missing something? Is there a switch that's not flipped?

Thanks for your replies.
2009 Fuzion 302
2007.5 Chev 2500HD, Duramax/Allison(6 spd) CC, SB, 4WD, Integrated Brake Controller, Timbrens, B&W Patriot
13 REPLIES 13

patrick_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies. Found a breaker on the generator tripped. Didn't even realize they were there.
2009 Fuzion 302
2007.5 Chev 2500HD, Duramax/Allison(6 spd) CC, SB, 4WD, Integrated Brake Controller, Timbrens, B&W Patriot

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would be interested in knowing if other 120vac things still have power when on the genny and the microwave is turned on but doesn't work. Are the receptacles still powered up? Does the refrig switch to gas?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Wind_River
Explorer
Explorer
If you have power to the receptacle the microwave is plugged into, turn the refrigerator to gas and see if the microwave will work. Just a thought.
2019 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty 4X4 6.7 Power Stroke
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 25RKS
Equal-i-zer Hitch, 3502 Ultra Fab Tongue Jack
Twin Honda 2000i w/parallel kit

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
sharker6 wrote:
Some will pull 25 amps.

If your microwave pulls 25 amps you need to replace it. That's 3000 watts. Never seen one that pulls this much.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
sharker6 wrote:
It's not the voltage but an amperage problem with a microwave. Some will pull 25 amps. It should say in the microwave owners manual. That's why they are on dedicated circuits.

No RV micro/convection oven pulls more than 11 to 13 amps. AMPERAGE is horsepower. Nothing else. The Op's problem is a problem with the APU voltage and the APU frequency (Htz). He needs to check the voltage AND the frequency. Freg should be 60 Htz. There is no way an appliance can "see" Amperage. Amperage is the work it pulls (horsepower). Doug

MrWizard
what size generator
how many cooking watts MW ?

my MW uses more power than the A/C

my MW is 1100 cooking watts, pulls 1650w power from generator

a 2000w peak 1700w continuous genset, will barely run my MW..provided everything thing else is turned off, converter, tv fridge, anything that uses 120v must be off

thats why i have a 3100w generator
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what size generator you have.

Did the microwave have no power as in no lights? Check 120v circuit breaker.

Was: the fridge on auto?
the water heater on elec?

Were your batteries low? The converter could have been throwing a lot of amps at the batteries.

A lot of variables that require more information to properly diagnose.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your generator is too small to power microwave. More details please.
Kevin

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Start by turning off and back on the two on-generator breakers. One may be tripped.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the voltage but an amperage problem with a microwave. Some will pull 25 amps. It should say in the microwave owners manual. That's why they are on dedicated circuits.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the voltage at the receptacle for the microwave when on generator? Maybe plugged a lamp into the receptacle.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Severe lack of information provided...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does everything else work on gen?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman