cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave removal

Delman
Explorer
Explorer
The Sharp R-1405 microwave in our 5th wheel crapped out a few days after the warranty expired.....of course Sharp would not give me a little slack.
So I want to remove it and find out if it's worth repairing.
The unit is built in over the range.
Would appreciate a bit of direction on how to remove it.
Thanks in advance!
2009 McKenzie Medallion Estate
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Once upon a time I was a little kid.....now I just think like a little kid!
16 REPLIES 16

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
In our RV, the rear bottom of the microwave hooks onto a frame screwed to the wall behind it, and three bolts hold it up from above. Those bolds are hidden under the floor of the cabinet above, so I have to remove the cabinet floor to access those bolts.

By the way, I'm older than you and have removed and replaced the microwave three times. The first time, I had it repaired, but the repair only lasted one year. So when the second one failed I replaced it, and when that one failed I replaced it with a more expensive Microwave Convection Oven. That one has lasted for years, and DW likes it better.

BTW, since in our setup, the microwave swings down from the back lip when the bolts are removed, you might want to block it up before you remove the bolts then work it down. I used a stack of books to do this.

YMMV

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
This link is a photo album of the removal of my Sharp Carousel microwave convection oven. My unit is a countertop microwave. It sits on a shelf inside the cabinet and the only thing holding it in place is the screws on the trim kit.
1) unplug the cord from the AC outlet and push the cord back into the cabinet behind the microwave.
2) You may want to pause here for a day to allow the capacitors inside the microwave to discharge - before opening up the microwave.
3) remove the screws from the trim plate.
If the microwave is at about shoulder height then a helper to assist with removing it is recommended. Shoulder height can be an uncomfortable height to lift 30-40 lbs from.
4) remove the microwave from the cabinet. A third person present would be helpful to make sure that the microwave's AC cord doesn't get hung up on anything during the removal process.
5) remove the trim kit from the microwave. This gains you access to remove the microwave's case.

Before reinstalling the microwave into the cabinet, tie about a 6 foot long string to the end of the AC cord. Fish the string through the hole where the AC cord needs to go. Have someone pull on the string to pull the AC cord back through the hole as the microwave is being reinstalled.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Delman
Explorer
Explorer
WOW....this might be turning into a small project. I'll check out all your suggestions and if it turns out to be more than a 72 yr. old wants to tackle, I'll just bite the bullet andsee if I can find someone to do the job.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
If you do have to purchase a new microwave you have to take into consideration how the microwave is mounted in the cabinet. You might get a model that mounts differently and a couple hour project could turn into a couple days! LOL

Also be aware that some microwaves need a cabinet kit that will properly vent the microwave if mounted into an enclosed cabinet. Ideally, if you can get an exact replacement it will be MUCH easier.

Thoughts to ponder!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I took my Sharp out there were very long screws that ran diagonally from the front underside toward the back top. There was also 2(?) bolts that came from the top inside the cabinet above the unit. If you don't have a cabinet up, or somewhere where screws could screw down from the top then it's likely just the screws from the underside. Where does the power cord go? You might find something in that area as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Did the unit just quit working all at once, totally dead, or did it just stop cooking but the control panel still light's up? If it went totally dead all at once it's probably the fuse behind the control panel. You can buy another fuse for a few bucks at an electrical supply house and save yourself a bunch of money, that's what I did when ours died suddenly.

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
We had one go bad. I just went to Walmart and bought one that would fit the opening and installed. Used some of the mounting hardware from the original.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this repair info.
https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHelp/Microwave-Repair/6-113-1061693-/Sharp-Microwave-R1405-Troubleshooting
Usually it would not be worth repairing BUT the Amazon price to replace it is more than $500 plus shipping!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use a lifting jack under it to keep it under control lowering it and then raising it back up to bolt it in.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Delman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good advice.....I'll be working on taking it out tomorrow.
You folks on this forum have always been very helpful!
Delman

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Usually not worth repairing. Here is the install which shows the 2 top mount bolts in the overhead cabinet. IF you have NO space above the Microwave for those bolts then the OEM installed aftermarket mount screws thru the upper area behind that black grill. You remove that plastic grill to access those screws. Doug (page 13)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/af/afd5ad8f-f8f6-41d7-bdc7-c6b911ef0959.pdf

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Replace it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Move to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine