cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modifying under cap entertainment components

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at purchasing a 2007 24 ft Class C BT Cruiser with only 19,000 miles. Looks in perfect shape for $28,500. NADA comes in about $38,000. However I have never liked and really have no use for an entertainment system sitting under the cap. Would like to remodel that area and turn it into another bed similar to what many Class C's have. Is this feasible and what kind of job is it?

https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/d/19k-miles-2007-bt-cruiser/6585172389.html
5 REPLIES 5

Floridastorm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, You've answered my question. I've got a couple of other motor homes to look at that do have the bed over the dirver's compartment. Just that a I have always had a preference for the BT Cruiser.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
Open the door next to the TV and look. Does not look from the ouside that there would be nearly enuff room for other than a small child. Many of the rigs with beds up there have a method to pull out the "floor" of the bed and use a two piece mattress to get sufficient room.

JMHO

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

MrWizard
I think you mean 'gut it'
Then make it a bed space

Do they make a similar model that has a child's bed up there
If so it might be strong enough
If not, i think i would forget the idea
I am Not a large person, and i would not like sleeping up there
Not enough space, not a full Cab over, and probably not insulated very well, if at all
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may be possible, but it would be a lot of work and I think not too practical. Chances are the interior of the cap behind the cabinets isn't finished like the rest of the interior, and the bunk board (or whatever they choose to call it for the entertainment center option) may be not as heavy duty as one intended for a bed.

It looks to me like it would be very tight up there, too, with very little headroom and no way to sit upright, particularly by the time you got even a nominal mattress there. The lack of headroom would make getting up and down rather interesting. The cap obviously slopes down towards the front, so what limited space there looks like there would be on the interior is going to taper off to nothingness as you move forward.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to start out by comparing structural comparison between the two. Newton's theory really comes into play with a six foot overhang. If weight can be held to an absolute minimum when on the highway and a bed constructed using every available lightweight technique it may make it possible. Aluminum square tubing (hard to weld) and Ash wood are two lightweights, and if cargo weight is designed to be as close to the main body body as possible, who knows. I sure start with the examination though. Just opening up the area to take lots of structural photos and get opinions may be worth the time and effort.