More 70 cent/watt solar

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would not hold that against a new CS panel from a reputable dealer with a warranty.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Does sound faulty. I would have a solar place check it out.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
I bought it used cheap and have only the real life numbers I see to work with.

I wouldn't mind the 12a it gives in bright light, it is 10w less and smaller than the poly. The voltage drops like a rock when the light does down to 29v and the amps, well .78a wont even wake up the controller.

The only way it out does the poly is if you stick your hand in front of it. The poly will drop 25% and the Canadian solar seems unfazed. Let that shadow go all the way across even a inch thick and it drops to .78a again.

It may be faulty, I haven't dwelt on it because I do have the poly to use. If someone does get one I'd love some real world numbers to compare it with.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
^^^^

If that far under spec why not take it back under warranty?

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That is the same Canadian solar panel I have and I wouldn't recommend it. It is constantly under preforming compared to my Schott poly in all light. By that I mean 25% less amps in bright light and over 50% in low light. YMMV
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I could replace the 4 panels I have, gain 20 watts, and have more usable real estate on the roof. . . for more panels? :B

I wouldn't even need a new controller--my Blue Sky is good for 25 Amps ๐Ÿ™‚ Hmmm, I could put three up there and recharge my 4 GC's is no time!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Has anyone out there ferreted out the optimum value in a 12-volt panel, shipping tax whatever, the most bang for the buck? In the USA. Preferably on the West Coast, ideally in the extreme southwest, meaning south AND west?

A 12 volt panel means one for use with a PWM controller---

Shipping a 24v panel (50lbs.) from Solar Blvd in Norco, CA to Minneapolis, MN was $75, IIRC. What raises shipping cost is the bulk of the item, over 60" in length is the killer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
I think those DMSolar panels when they go on sale are probably the best bank for the buck if you have to ship them somewhere. Sometimes they go on sale on Amazon for $220. They're 290W @ 12V I think (two 145W panels). You have to wait for the free shipping sale too.

Wow that's quite a deal shipped.

Jim

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I think those DMSolar panels when they go on sale are probably the best bank for the buck if you have to ship them somewhere. Sometimes they go on sale on Amazon for $220. They're 290W @ 12V I think (two 145W panels). You have to wait for the free shipping sale too.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone out there ferreted out the optimum value in a 12-volt panel, shipping tax whatever, the most bang for the buck? In the USA. Preferably on the West Coast, ideally in the extreme southwest, meaning south AND west?

A 12 volt panel means one for use with a PWM controller---

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Jim,

When you live in the outback as I do
Shipping costs factor into the equation
The slow boat from China would cost me over $150 for one panel
Guess there might be at most one good thing for living in the big city

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow..if I had any more room I'd add one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman