cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More efficient propane furnace

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fair-sized fifth wheel and am often surprised at both the propane usage and 12v power the furnace consumes. It is 18 years old but works good and is clean (no dirt dauber nests and so on). Has anyone come out with a more efficient furnace that big over the years? I can live with this one but it sure would be nice to have a more efficient unit.
51 REPLIES 51

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Mr. heater big buddy and we love it it.โ€ฆ Our propane usage went down to a fraction of what it used to be. I really donโ€™t think these tiny RV furnaces need such long pre-purge and post purge cycles and that kills the efficiency something terrible. I guesstimate the AFUE efficiency of RV furnaces is about 30% or lessโ€ฆ just comparing the propane usage to big buddy heater. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,
The platinum cat vented catalytic heater is yards more efficient.

I'm not even sure they're selling those any more.

There is a website, but it doesn't have any info on where to actually buy one.

ETA: Apparently, someone is still selling them on a built-to-order basis.

Camco and Mr. Heater make unvented catalytic heaters that are readily available - and they are even more efficient than their vented counterparts. They don't require any electricity, so there is no drain on your house batteries while dry-camped.

I use the Camco 3000 BTU model in my little 17-footer, and like it immensely.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you can add a couple additional ducts I believe it can operate more efficiently. Airflow is king and most are installed to minimum spec.

And yes I added 2x 4" round ducts to mine and it works so much better.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The platinum cat vented catalytic heater is yards more efficient.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
While RV furnaces are not very efficient, the big driver of propane use is the poorly sealed and poorly insulated RV. And you can do something about that.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, In my experiance, the RV industry is still using the same furnaces as they were thirty years ago.
With the exception of outsourcing some components and fancy electronics that will be sure to pre maturely fail.
Nothing as far as efficiently has changed.

Some will say they are as efficient as can be expected in such a small package.

I will be looking forward to hearing some new things I am ignorant of.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The most efficient option, IMO is diesel heaters. However I don't know if there are any "drop in" RV ready applications. But with your older trailer, you could consider purchasing a couple of those.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold