cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting TV

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 32" TV that we are presently taking down while we travel. How have others installed a TV permanently ?? Is it safe to use the screws on the back of the TV, or do I need to somehow hold the Frame of the TV.

Ideas ???

Thanks,
Doug
7 REPLIES 7

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Do an advanced search in the over 12 month archive. There are a a few of folks that have posted their upgrades. HERE is what we did on the last coach.

pdogg
Explorer
Explorer
to the OP, while it hasn't been specifically been spelled out, your TV must have VESA compliant mounting points in the back, and you need to buy a VESA mount as pictured in the posts above.. After reading the first few posts, I was envisioning people driving screws into the backs of their TV's, and the ensuing horror.. but to each their own, do so at your own risk.

Just wanted to add this for clarity..

westend
Explorer
Explorer
This is a 32" LED/LCD screen (probably about 10 lbs) mounted on an articulating arm mount with tilt. I bolted the arm mount through the plywood backer board and attached the backer board into the studs in the wall using glue and screws. The backer spans three studs. I do nothing special for transportation but may install a strap if I anticipate long distance on rough roads.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
In my truck camper my 21 inch (i think) LCD is on a adjustable arm. I do fold it in a secure it with a strap while traveling. Feels to be very solid and no problems. I would not hesitate to do the same with a 32 inch.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You shouldn't have to take down your TV each time you travel.

If you have a TT built in the last couple of years or so, the newer TVs are a lot lighter than they used to be so not as much of a problem while in transit. The 32" in our 2104 TT is feather light. KZ does not use a locking articulating mount and it simply has the joints in the arms tightened. All we need to do is push it up against the wall and it stays in place just fine.

You could try tightening the joints on your mount and seeing if that works okay.

There are some locking articulating mounts available. Mor/Ryde makes a really nice one with a T-handle on the bottom that you pull down to lock/unlock as shown in the photo. We have one for our bedroom TV. The locking one that CW is terrible. We bought one and had to get rid of it it was so bad.

An inexpensive method of keeping a TV in place is to use velcro straps. I've seen a few TTs at shows that came from the factory with velcro straps. The photo below shows velcro straps that I used in our first TT. I got the plastic brackets from TheClip.com

The 4 little screws on the back of the TV are fine. If it would make you feel more comfortable with them, you could use a drop of red Loctite on each one.

Don't know if you have the TV mounted in the factory designated spot or not. The factory usually has a thin sheet metal backer plate for mounting a TV. If there isn't a backer plate, then you need to ensure it is solidly mounted to the wall or cabinet. Although the TV may not weigh much itself, mounts can add weight and the two together can put lots of strain at the attachment location. A TV + mount can weigh around 20 lbs.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted mine in 4 places at the edge. Just screwed metal tabs into the quite heavy plastic,....working great for 1.5 yrs now.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 32" tvs, both mounted from the back with screws. We have had 0 problems. We drive on bumpy, gravel, and dirt roads without any issues so far.

eta: one is on a swivel mount that gets strapped down when towing, the other is on a fixed mount and never moves.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road