Did you mean:ย 

Mushroom Cloud Over Mexico LED Magic Smoke Tomorrow

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta try it.

(4) 33 volt LED chips in series.

(1) 5 amp 1KV rectifier in series for a guarantee

(1) 100uf 450 volt electrolytic cap connected inside the rectifier circuit.

Plugger into a wall socket.

I shall wear a safety shield mask and gloves....
25 REPLIES 25

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, 1995 "La Duena" Actress, Angela Rivera. She had the finest, er, spread in the whole valley. El Premio Mayor (The Grand Prize) The insane antics of Huichol left me hurting for hours. Mexico produces the finest soaps in the world, but I would rather spend my time wondering why the circuit suddenly turned pitch-black and the lights went out.

Beats having men in dark suits show up at my business flashing federal badges and asking why the air force was picking up intense electromagnetic emissions from the yard. That's how I was introduced to DARPA. They flew F-117's and B2 bombers directly over my place. I guess I unintentionally zapped a few of them. Cyclone fence faraday cage and about 1,500 pounds of copper lathe cutting curl scrap fixed that. But then the FCC got into the act. That cost me money.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Homeland Security, NSA, and NASA have been alerted. :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
"I gotta try it.

(4) 33 volt LED chips in series.

(1) 5 amp 1KV rectifier in series for a guarantee

(1) 100uf 450 volt electrolytic cap connected inside the rectifier circuit.

Plugger into a wall socket.

I shall wear a safety shield mask and gloves....

Line voltage in Mexico is rated 127 vac."

4 x 33V = 132V
voltage across LEDs 1.414 x 127 = 180V!!

"Mushroom Cloud Over Mexico LED Magic Smoke Tomorrow"!!
Lou

MrWizard
Beats watching Juanita steal Carmelita's husband through treachery on Mexican soap opera TV.

you don't have a favorite "TeleNovello"
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
You mean that warm glow to the south wasn't you? What about your birthday, did they light a cake?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
A pic of your items on a bread board, before going into production, is in order. Sounds like fun.

You will be for sure pushing some heat when you get even 26 amps at close to 36V with those LED's. And those lights will be burning quit bright too, at that amperag and voltage. 36V forward voltage is the goal with those LED's, varying the amperage at 36V input affects the brightness and heat the most. In a basic 3.6 to 4V Led, 700 milliamps is a good balance of power input to light output, for longevity. For additional brightness, with a significant gain in heat output, and heat sinking necessary, 1,000 Milliamps is quite good. The amount of lumens gained per increase in MAh, past 1000 is a trade off of being over driven, creating lots of heat, and shortening of life, for not that much gain in lumens, for current expended.

This was true around 2009- 2010 when I was dinking around with lights for riding mountain bikes at night on single track, trying for 600-700 lumens out of a single die LED. YMMV with increases in performance of LED chips 5 years later.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jeez fellas, I'm old, parts don't work so hot anymore and I live in a country where nails are straightened and re-sold. I lightbulbed another Looney Tunes thought - three rectifiers in series and a much more inexpensive lower voltage adjustable DC regulator between series LED negative and neutral. Within the confines of the 5-amp regulator and 100 uf cap of course. "A pull down voltage regulator?" I believe the cheaper ones have an acceptance feed range to 30 volts and can be adjusted down to a amount of wattage tiny output.

Feels good to get my feet almost damp. When I designed the variable frequency variable voltage, adjustable current oscillator circuit (thirty kilowatts 480 input) pulse charging (desulfating) test machine I was close to freakin' rapture. The Skunk Works no longer has those fraction of a cent on the dollar auctions, there are no more Space Shuttle leftover materials so I have to do the best I can with what I have.

The new chips arrived! Advertised at 30 watts at 33 to 36 volts. But my little 12 volt DC booster huffed and puffed and can manage only 27 input watts into the 12 volt power brick into the DC to DC converter and then through the chip. 33.3 volts at the chip. Connected to a heat sink for a 10 minute run I swear I cannot feel any temperature rise on the surface of the chip. This puppy needs to be fed 36 volts.

36 X 3 = 108 volts.

Line voltage in Mexico is rated 127 vac.

Delta T = 19 volts.

Beats watching Juanita steal Carmelita's husband through treachery on Mexican soap opera TV.

Now I need to go online and find a DC to DC bucker that can tolerate 30-40 volts.

BTW a commerical 400 watt AC lamp costs like 700 dollars. Sixty dollars for a 350 watt rated AC to 36 volt constant current power brick. Kids want to play "futbol" after dark on the campo. I want youngsters playing soccer at night not shooting up either bullets or needles.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if Mex spelled that wrong and meant Wrecktifier?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what you're trying to achieve with this setup. One quick flash of bright light? Might be easier and more repeatable to use a welder.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't stopped wondering and I keep looking to the sky ever since you posted about buying 200 diodes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Make a video and post it. Then we can all share your fun..safely ๐Ÿ™‚