cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Musk Starlink now has a new problem

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently the dish used with the service actually gives off some heat when its in use. Cats have apparently discovered it and are taking advantage of it.
Cat dish
34 REPLIES 34

Quote -
โ€œ we can only use it at approximately 40% of our campsitesโ€
โ€œ Weโ€™re paying $100/mo whether we us it or notโ€

As long as YOU are ok with paying that much for that little serviceโ€ฆ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Am planning to get Starlink once they have full saturation of the entire US.

I will be cool to have it with my Cybertruck and going boondocking.

Cats, squirrels, owls... would be small inconvenience, lol.
Yea, Cab
can you haul your generator and gas in the back?

I intend to charge my Cybertruck via directed lightning bolt also coming from Starlink.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smart kitties.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Also ironic that what goes up and down on Starlink still has to travel through fiber.
Almost all cross-seas communication is by fiber cable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Am planning to get Starlink once they have full saturation of the entire US.

I will be cool to have it with my Cybertruck and going boondocking.

Cats, squirrels, owls... would be small inconvenience, lol.
Yea, Cab
can you haul your generator and gas in the back?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Didn't see that there were actually five cats on the dish.

In some countries, this is just dinner and not at all unusual.

Didn't see that there were actually five cats on the dish.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Are the cats cooking from the outside in or the inside out?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geostationary satellites have a problem. Latency.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Very familiar with reception issues from outer space. Was a Dish customer for many years until I grew weary of no TV in the rainy season and Dish's cost exceeded the cost of the cable service it replaced. I also find it more than ironic that Mr Musk, the environmental crusader on earth has no problem with trashing the cosmos with literally thousands of satellites. Seems like a few geostationary satellites like Hughes Net, though probably more expensive to build and operate might be more efficient and less litter. Also ironic that what goes up and down on Starlink still has to travel through fiber. Hope Musk doesn't advocate clear cutting trees to make Starlink work.

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
We have Starlink and travel extensively with it. When we can get into an open cell, it's been great - we haven't had any issues dealing with obstructions, even up in the mountains with lots of trees around. Photo from outside of Estes Park, CO, with the dish outlined by a red star.

The biggest issue is just finding open cells - we can only use it at approximately 40% of our campsites. When it works, we can expect 150+Mbps down, 30+Mbps up, and low latency without any bandwidth caps. I've used it as much as 2TB/mo. We've had it in rain, snow, and heavy thunderstorms and I don't recall any outages. We're paying almost $100/mo whether we can use it or not, but it's just another tool in the arsenal of AT&T, Verizon, etc we carry to make a living (working remotely) out here.

Based on my experience with it, the Verge's issues probably had more to do with their specific cell than obstructions. It is beta, afterall.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
Might want to read the column from The Verge. Cats in the antenna sounds like the least of Starlink's problems. Yeah I know it's Beta, but sounds like trees and buildings are not its friend.

That is true of ALL satellite services. hughes. Dish network, DirecTV and more.. Trees and buildings block thesignal.

As I understand Star link it may be a bit less suppectable to this. but only a bit.

Still when you are in the land of NO CELL SIGNAL.. it works if you set the dish up in the clear... May be your only option.

Now here is a problem and solution. I have two routers here in teh apartment hooked up as follows

Modem---Router 1 (5GHZ/2.4GHZ)---- router 2 (2.4 only)

Well one device is supposed to be PLUGGED into Router 1.
IT was working (per what it works with) but I could not find it's info page.. So i ask the radio "Where is it" Turns out it was wi-fied to Router 2 (First time that ever worked)

When I moved it 5 feet yesterday I forgot to plug the cable into the router DUH (Face plam) works fine now.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Might want to read the column from The Verge. Cats in the antenna sounds like the least of Starlink's problems. Yeah I know it's Beta, but sounds like trees and buildings are not its friend.

Same issue as Sat TV, and OTA TV. Trees, buildings, mountains, any obstacle, rain, wind, planes passing overhead may interfere with the signal.

But the promise is to bring internet to millions of out of the way places.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Years ago, many years ago, my parents raised cats for show. It was quite common to have 10-15 of the furry hell-kittens running around the house. When the TV was on, most of them gathered on top and there was at least one tale hanging down over the picture. One nice thing about flat screen TVโ€™s no place for kitties.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer