Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Repower Adventure

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 1 of my 460 engine replacement.

This is a 460 Ford project with EEC IV, OBD I, speed density computer.
Tune and drivability will be addressed, if necessary, when the new engine is running.
I have been planning this upgrade for over 2 years.
The ol 460 will turn into a 528. Or for you metric fans 7.5l to 8.6l.
Old bore is 4.360. New bore is 4.420. Old stroke is 3.85. New stroke is 4.30
First the E4OD tranny gets removed and sent to the shop for rebuild and updates.

Didn't get a lot of pieces/parts removed today.
Here is a pic of the removed parts.
IE Drive shaft, ZF emergency brake, "Y" pipe and right header.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson
91 REPLIES 91

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Love the updates.
None of my business but the battery trays look like they could use some Ospho and POR paint while you can get to it.

You are absolutely correct. Those battery trays will get cleaned up before the bumper is permanently attached.
Fleetwood designed those trays for two 6 volt batteries. I changed them to the current configuration a few years ago.
As soon as the new engine comes to life, I'll start on the trays.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Rich
You do good work. You want to rebuild my 1995 460 cid. in my 95 F250. or should I just buy a new Ram 2500 HD Laramie Cummins TD?

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love the updates.
None of my business but the battery trays look like they could use some Ospho and POR paint while you can get to it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 28

Had to work my way around the rain drops today but accomplished a little. All the accessories are on the front of the engine. Have to pick up a 3/4" PS hose tomorrow and then I can button up the front and head underneath.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 27

I got a early start this morning. Actually got up before breakfast.
Here is the AIR stuff install over the right valve cover and the vacuum solenoids that control the EGR, AIR & fuel vapors over the left valve cover.
The blue thing on the upper left is a BBK adjustable fuel pressure regulator. May need to up the fuel pressure a touch. Time will tell.

Next is the two wiring harness the run across the top of the engine with one harness going to the transmission.

Finally the throttle body, EGR valve and control cables get installed.

That just about takes care of the stuff on top of the engine for now.

Next is the various components on the front of the engine.
Here it is bare, waiting for me to get busy. The rag is to keep junk out of the distributer hole.

Didn't get much installed on the front of the engine today. Just the AIR pump and bracket.

The pile of parts in the garage keeps getting smaller. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

Stay tuned
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
So glad to see the engine is GRAY. Just another understatement of what a 460 (BBF in your case) can do. Understated gray, like a battleship. Congratulations, Keep'er going and Keep'em (pix) coming!

HE HE............
I've had my sanity questioned a couple of times for painting it the way Ford delivered it, 20 years ago, instead of Ford Blue. I'll reserve the Ford blue for the Blue Ovals on both ends of the ol Bounder. Now all I have to do is find a 8.6l decal to put on the Back for the Chebby guys to look at. GRIN... Flack jacket on.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
So glad to see the engine is GRAY. Just another understatement of what a 460 (BBF in your case) can do. Understated gray, like a battleship. Congratulations, Keep'er going and Keep'em (pix) coming!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 25-26

Got the transmission in yesterday. Was too tired at the end of the day to turn on the computer.
Still have to hook up the various doo-das and foo-fas to the tranny but all the nuts and bolts are in place.
I allowed 6 weeks for the project and I'm slightly ahead of schedule, so today may be a day of rest and maybe some NASCAR viewing. Boo-da.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
OnaQuest wrote:
I can already hear that thing purr (or is that roar) all the way from Carolina. Looking good, my friend.:)

He He.............
I think purrrrrrrrrr would be good.
You can tell me which as you follow along in the distance. GRIN!
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
I can already hear that thing purr (or is that roar) all the way from Carolina. Looking good, my friend.:)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 24

Almost there. Don't spill the coffee

Down just a tad more.

Ahhhhhhhhh, the beast is home at last!

Did manage to get the intake manifold on today along with the new injectors and fuel rail.
Tiz fun figuring out which bolts go where. If all goes well, I'll run out of bolts when I run out of holes to put them in. ??????? We shall C.

Stay tuned
Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Day 23

The pedestal shims arrived today. All the lifter preloads are with in specs with 0.060" shims.

The beast is chained up and ready for insertion tomorrow.
Then the thrash begins, getting all the stuff hooked up.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
With the cam your running I would install some roller tip rockers from Comp. Cams. It would stop the side load on the valves and make your guides live a lot longer.
X2... All that work on the engine and no roller lifters or rockers?
The cam is a very mild RV cam with about 0.040" more lift than the OEM cam.
This is NOT a high RPM, high performance engine that needs special after market items.
After market roller tipped rockers have proven to be less reliable on high mileage 460s than OEM. Then there is the problem of getting the proper rocker are geometry with after market rockers.
After 138,000 on the heads, the valve guides are with in specs and the OEM rocker arms are going back on. No need to fix something that's not broke.
Go spend some time on 460Ford.com and you'll see why I'm doing the build the way I am.
Thanks for your concerm.

Richard
Ahh. I figured you'd have a reason, I just didn't know what it was. ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
RLS7201 wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
With the cam your running I would install some roller tip rockers from Comp. Cams. It would stop the side load on the valves and make your guides live a lot longer.

This is NOT a high RPM, high performance engine that needs special after market items.
After market roller tipped rockers have proven to be less reliable on high mileage 460s than OEM. Then there is the problem of getting the proper rocker are geometry with after market rockers.
After 138,000 on the heads, the valve guides are with in specs and the OEM rocker arms are going back on. No need to fix something that's not broke.
Go spend some time on 460Ford.com and you'll see why I'm doing the build the way I am.
Thanks for your concerm.

Richard
I don't need to spend more time there. We build them. I was just stating the roller tips take the side load off the valves.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:

Thanks for your concerm.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson