cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need a tow hitch

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I just purchased a tow dolly so I can take my car along. The question is does anyone know how do you determine the drop from the hitch ?
5 REPLIES 5

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
dbates wrote:
What kind of dolly do you have? If it's new the instructions should tell you the desired height the ball should be. If it's used without instructions Google it and see what the manufacturer recommends or get their phone number or email address and contact them for the needed info.

Dave
this is a used dolly and it has no markings .It looks like a fairly new style, it has a rotating base platform and pivots, there is a pin that you pull out and is like scissor so you can drive your car on with a winch and a crank hand w/ a wheel for storage.

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of dolly do you have? If it's new the instructions should tell you the desired height the ball should be. If it's used without instructions Google it and see what the manufacturer recommends or get their phone number or email address and contact them for the needed info.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

steppinstone
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Fred, thanks for the info I will be moving the rig tomorrow because I have no room behind it now to take measurements, I will put it on level ground and take the measurements. I know the receiver is pretty high,I have a couple of straight hitches but I think I'll be buying a 10 or 12 inch drop. I just wanted to make sure because I did not want to see my car passing me on the highway.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
So you have a 2" receiver on your motorhome? How high is that from the ground when parked on level ground?

I think that you will want the ball to be close to 18" off the ground. So if your receiver is 18" above the ground, then a straight hitch will work fine. If it is at 22" above the ground, then a 4" drop. If only 16" - then a straight hitch will still work fine.

You can pick them up at many Wal Marts, your local hardware store, and many other places. If you have a exceptionally high hitch, such as 24" or 28" above ground level, you can buy a receiver with up to 10" or 12" of drop. That you probably have to order from ETrailer.com

I put a hitch on my Windstar van when I was towing it so that I could move the tow dolly around, and to go and purchase the dolly and bring it home, without towing it with the RV.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com