cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Help Selecting a Generator

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I'm putting a generator into a new build. Building an extremely robust overland type RV.

I would prefer it to be in the 6-7KW range so I can run 2 rooftop AC units. Lots of volume to cool.

What kind of diesel generators are we running these days that can provide the absolute most quiet operation possible?

I've walked by some ice cream trucks in NYC and didn't even know they had a diesel generator on until I was within a couple feet and felt the exhaust. Food trucks too.

What type of generators are these? How are they so quiet? What's the most silent RV generator in this size range?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Engineering and parts support wise, you cannot beat an Onan QD. Will it be trouble free? Yes, IF you do regular Mx. If you treat it like a millennial's Toyota (just run it until something breaks then trade it in), then you will have issues.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
Ok. Wow. The Onan QDs really seem to be there way to go here. I have a Northern Lights marine generator about the same size and am very, very happy with it. I'm assuming these higher than me Onans are more trouble free than the little 2500 LP models? I have one of those now and it's always breaking down. Lots of repairs and maintenance.

If you have an Onan product that is always breaking down, what makes you expect another Onan product to be trouble free? I have always suspected they make their money selling replacement parts! Only my opinion of course and worth what you are paying for it.

I have not dealt with diesels in a long time, but I know there are better units available. Bus converters have units they prefer, but do not recall the name. Check if NOrthern Lights has a non marine version.

If I was doing a new build today I would be trying to fit in mini split ac's. Should also reduce size of genset needed.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Wow. The Onan QDs really seem to be there way to go here. I have a Northern Lights marine generator about the same size and am very, very happy with it. I'm assuming these higher than me Onans are more trouble free than the little 2500 LP models? I have one of those now and it's always breaking down. Lots of repairs and maintenance.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Onan Quietdiesel 7500. LOVE IT! Starts up first time, every time and sips the diesel. Very quiet.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins Onan Quiet Diesel is what I would go with. They can throttle back and run at minimum RPM necessary to power the load. This is just like what the little portable gas powered inverter generators do.