cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with CPAP for camper

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fairly new to CPAP. The VA bought mine and it is strictly 110 volt. I thought no problem just get an inverter. Got a Schumacher 410 watt. Runs the CPAP OK but every time I take a breath in, the inverter runs then quits when I breathe out. The cooling fan on the inverter is noisy and very annoying since it does not run constantly.

I doubt if my VA Dr would write a prescription for a 12 volt model that I could go buy myself.

So, just wondering what others do. 12 volt machine or are there quiet inverters or put up with the noise?

Thanks.......DJ
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
78 REPLIES 78

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At this point I am going to switch gears. I was unaware Resmed made a DC/DC converter for their machines. It is far and away better to stick with medical grade electronics because of electronic filtering and durability of the converter. The one I suggested also needs to be hidden and wires adapted. The ResMed will be plug n play.

Didn't know it until I looked but Respironics offers machines costing many thousands of dollars!

GAScouter
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, when on a CPAP, I was using a Resmed (24V) unit in my motor home. I got the 12v adaptor brick available for it and was able to run the unit from the 12V TV socket in the bedroom without issue. That brick stayed in the camper and the AC unit stayed at home.
2004 Coachmen Aurora - Pic coming.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
WOW!! Did not realize so many folks used CPAPS!!!! Thank you everyone for your input. I was wrong about my machine. It is not 110 v, it has an inline reducer. Told you I was new at this!!

It is a ResMed H5i and it's 24 volts. 1.25A (FG) C and 3.75A (sys)

But being 24 volts then I am pretty much incapable of using it on my 12 volt camper? Sorry, electronically challenged.

NOPE NOT AT ALL. go to batterypacksolutions website (also available on amazon) and look at their 12VDC=24VDC converters SPECIFICALLY made for resmed cpaps.

loot at the device you need on the batterypacksolutions website, then get it from one of the vendors on amazon.

the work exactly as advertized. easy peasy use with 12V DC.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

This critter is stable and a snap to use. The voltage MUST be adjusted with a digital voltmeter to 24.0 volts, with a tiny flat-blade screwdriver. It needs to be mounted in a three-sided box for ventilation in a bed-side night table. The wire that connects to your CPAP will be a new wire and plug you will purchase CPAP companies have them for sale. The neat part about the DC/DC converter is it will keep your CPAP at exactly 24.0 volt whether the engine is running or not. Do you hae an electronics tinkerer/buddy?

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!! Did not realize so many folks used CPAPS!!!! Thank you everyone for your input. I was wrong about my machine. It is not 110 v, it has an inline reducer. Told you I was new at this!!

But being 24 volts then I am pretty much incapable of using it on my 12 volt camper? Sorry, electronically challenged.

You can get a cord to run it from the VA as I did they do make one for you unit you can plug into 12 socket. Just tell them you need a cord to run it in your rv. I have the same machine our sleep center is great to work with. You can also buy one on line. I hate messing with inverter and all that. I did move a 12 volt socket next to my bed for Cpap use.
1997 Pursuit class A

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
USE A HEPA 4 FILTER!

Foam filters stop spiders and marbles. A white HEPA filter stops dust, dead. And dust, kills blower motors.

Leaving the unit plugged-into 12-volts then starting the engine can kill off C or Bi-PAP electronics. I must have spent 100-hours at the oscilloscope on this, The power brick that comes with these machines is medical grade. Machine internals themselves have little if any suppressor circuits, because they rely on the brick to do that.

Hopefully by next week I will have a pound or so of 18-volt MOVs and 16 volt TVS transient voltage suppressors. I'm getting tired of the throw-it-away-and- get-a-new-one-mentality regarding vulnerable devices with very little use on them. And no, re-read the above - this does not encompass pnichols distributor!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Get a friend and the go to eBay and search under DC DC Voltage Boosters

12-volts goes in then whatever voltage you adjust to comes out automatically. It stays there, forever at 24.0 volts if you wish. Yep, your batteries will provide 24 volts. Forever. The expensive twenty-some-odd dollar DC to DC boosters can handle as much as 25-amps of power.

Your's is an easy fix. Piece of cake.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, I've got this!!! Thanks to all for your help. Thanks Tiger for the PM and website. I have the correct power cord ordered that will convert 12v to 24v. I'm breathing easier!!! Pun intended!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:

You should be able to use it with either a 110v inverter as discussed, or with a 12 volt to 24 volt converter from ResMed. the DC converter may be easier on battery usage. I have used mine with a cheap MSW inverter in the past and it worked. But, it seemed like the pressure may have been a bit reduced and I am not sure of long term affects to the unit. I believe a true sine-wave inverter would be safer for the machine, which is what I am using now.

Due to my EMS shutting off power to my rig due to high voltage at night in a couple of campgrounds, I have gone to a standard practice of running my CPAP on the inverter even when I have hook-ups.

FYI - My current machine is a ResMed S9

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Wrace wrote:
My wife and I both use our bipaps when camping and I've found they seem to work better running them from straight 12vdc than trying to use an inverter. As such I have installed 12v outlets in our TT at the machine locations.

I've been on bipap since 1988 and I am on my third machine. When selecting a machine I always make sure it can run on 12v and that the appropriate cable is available. All of my machines cut out the humidifier when running on 12v.

on my resmed, you can turn on/off the humidifer when running on ac or dc at your choice. humidifier does more than double the current draw in many cases.

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
I have had problems with early failures of Resperonics units.

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I both use our bipaps when camping and I've found they seem to work better running them from straight 12vdc than trying to use an inverter. As such I have installed 12v outlets in our TT at the machine locations.

I've been on bipap since 1988 and I am on my third machine. When selecting a machine I always make sure it can run on 12v and that the appropriate cable is available. All of my machines cut out the humidifier when running on 12v.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:
A few thoughts on CPAP in an RV:

I’m not sure what brand you have, but in my experience anyone with an RV would do well to avoid ResMed CPAP’s. There are other choices that are far more suitable for use off of the grid.

You will use far less battery power by running off of 12 VDC rather than using an inverter for 120 VAC.

If you choose to use an inverter, it may need to be a pure sine wave inverter. Check the requirements for your specific CPAP.

Yes, you probably need the heated humidifier at home. But in an RV, you are in a small space with lots of humidity. You do not need to turn on the heat when using the humidifier, even in winter. Save some battery power.

If you want to buy a different CPAP for camping, you do not need a new script. The internet CPAP vendors will accept a script that you fax or email and it does not need to be a recent date. So long as it is written for you and shows your prescribed pressure, you can buy any kind/brand of CPAP you want. If you are paying, you do not need to settle for the cheapest most bare-bones CPAP that Medicare or your insurance insists upon. My script was for a regular CPAP, which I could not tolerate due to the constant high pressure, but with my script I was able to buy an auto-titrating CPAP which is vastly more pleasant to use. (It goes to the high pressure only on the rare occasions that it senses that I need the extra pressure.)

Another thing with internet sellers: The total price you pay may be lower than the co-pay on your insurance if you were to buy from a local brick-and-mortar medical supply. In addition, some insurance companies are happy to reimburse you for purchases made on-line – it saves them money compared to the brick-and-mortar suppliers. Check with your insurer.

Wayne

Why avoid a resmed???

I've had resperonics and now have a resmed. I have absolutely NO issues with a resmed for off grid use.

I have the battery pack solutions 12V to 24V DC-DC converter, it runs my resmed just as long as my resperonics of a portable battery pack, resmed can easily turn off the humidifier if needed.

It's power draw is actually quite low and runs off a DC source quite nicely and it is much smaller than the resperonics I had.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
We3 wise man! 🙂 🙂

UL prohibits an AC only unit. I am not familiar with every model on the market but something is wrong withthe idea the device is AC only. My Respironics BiPAP draws 53 watts with humidifier. With a Delta T of 20 degrees F the humidifier heats about 30% of the time. With a 50 degree room it's working 100% of the time.

Be careful to NOT have the unit connected to 12-volts when starting any engine on that battery circuit. The warning comes direct from Respironics. They saud they do not wish to see more than 13.5 volts enter their machines.