cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with CPAP for camper

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fairly new to CPAP. The VA bought mine and it is strictly 110 volt. I thought no problem just get an inverter. Got a Schumacher 410 watt. Runs the CPAP OK but every time I take a breath in, the inverter runs then quits when I breathe out. The cooling fan on the inverter is noisy and very annoying since it does not run constantly.

I doubt if my VA Dr would write a prescription for a 12 volt model that I could go buy myself.

So, just wondering what others do. 12 volt machine or are there quiet inverters or put up with the noise?

Thanks.......DJ
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
78 REPLIES 78

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2014/01/08/chest-implant-might-help-with-hard-to-...

If this is what you are referring to, it sounds like it is something for treating central sleep apnea, which originates with the nervous system. Like a pacemaker triggers the heart to beat, this apparently triggers breathing.

I note, too, that it has reduced apneas and hypopneas by 68%. Unless your apnea is very mild, it seems to me that a 68% reduction is not terribly effective. With CPAP, I get a 90% or better reduction. If your AHI is above 5, you are still experiencing sleep apnea.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The conventional surgery to "fix" the larynx shocked me. IMHO it is a disaster - incorrect swallowing, drooling, a whole fleet of negatives. So news of an implant is heartening (yeah that's a pun). For us lousy CSA victims the only cure would be a brain-stem transplant.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use a CPAP machine but there was a article in the Miami Herald the other day about a gentleman who received some type of implant, similar to a heart pace maker, that does away with the CPAP machine. Do not think it is available to everyone but something to look forward to.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The eBay pages are full of recording Pulse Oximeters. I compared mine to a professional multi thousand dollar unit and the profiles mirrored each other. Downloading via a USB cable to a CD program could not be simpler. Naturally programs range from simple to stupidly complex but the basic nightly or weekly results can be amplified down to the minute. This is the way I found put the shoulder I was sleeping on started to hurt at 0400 I rolled over more supported myself with my right hand and woke up at 0500 screaming with pain. You bet your sweet bippy the O2 sensor showedbwhy my AHI was.skyrocketing. bolster pillows and an ice pack at bed time fixed that and my heart rate and pulse have also returned to normal. St Peter has all of eternity so seeing him right away is not a priority. If a person is being treated for Atrial Fibrillation a pulse oximeter should br mandatory. I dose one of my medications PRN via what my pulse history has shown.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
To maintain my Medicare coverage and to acquire regular supplies for my CPAP I need to have periodic visits with my Sleep Center Physician. He adjusts both of my machines as needed to meet my needs.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Larryect
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
. . . I'll have to toss in another blurb for a pulse oximeter. it has been been a godsend ending guesswork.

What pulse oximeter do you use? I've thought of getting one. I see some relatively inexpensive ones, but I have no idea if they are accurate and reliable.

Wayne

Curios as well. I don't have a Dr. willing to look at the machine data.......

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
. . . I'll have to toss in another blurb for a pulse oximeter. it has been been a godsend ending guesswork.

What pulse oximeter do you use? I've thought of getting one. I see some relatively inexpensive ones, but I have no idea if they are accurate and reliable.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The whole thing boils down to getting the AHI as low as possible, and keeping it there. With controlled AFIB when the AHI climbs but mask leakage doesn't I stick the blame the machine in the drawer and go after the real culprit my body. Never met anyone who said this was going to be easy. I'll have to toss in another blurb for a pulse oximeter. it has been been a godsend ending guesswork.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Getting a sleep apnea machine is not like getting a prescription. More like getting a new roommate and the two of you have to get used to each other.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Wrace
Explorer
Explorer
Empty Nest, Soon wrote:

Your problems and solutions may be different from mine, but I encourage everyone who needs the therapy to work on finding the solution that works for you, rather than discontinuing use of any therapy at all because of a bad experience the first time around.
Wayne

That's really the bottom line with sleep apnea or just about any other medical condition I suppose. There are so many variables in the use of cpap for sleep apnea treatment that it can be very intimidating for some folks.

Then you throw in the new way of issuing a machine where my Doctor has never even met the 'sleep therapist' that is telling me what machine I should use, then setting it up (pressures and such), providing xyz mask, etc. Never mind that the machines and related equipment are very expensive.

This whole process can be difficult for new folks who don't end up with a good doctor and dme supplier and are not able to be compliant with the therapy right out of the gates. Thus the advice that taking control of your own therapy/situation may be needed. The problem with this is that most folks are not technical people like a lot of guys on rvnet, and are just not interested or skilled enough to do much on their own. And it's really a shame because the whole process should be lined out and stabilized using the medical providers as that's what the patient is paying for in the first place.

I always encourage new cpap users to think of the process more as a marathon than a sprint. Many folks assume that it's going to be just like going to the pharmacy and filling a prescription of pills. Hopefully it will not be much more complicated than that, but in some cases it can be quite a journey to compliance.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I was stunned when the doctors told me I was "averaging 100+ events per hour"

"Per night?" I wanted to correct

"No! Per Hour!"

No matter where, how, when or why I am plugged in, I monitor the voltage going into the machine. I am now on a Samlex, connected to the Lifeline, to act as a UPS and I can care less about a night-time power failure. Thank goodness.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
. . . No more snoozing at 20,000 feet.

I like that comparison. I wonder how many people really appreciate its significance.

The real problem with sleep apnea is not that you wake up and donโ€™t get good rest. The main problem is that when you stop breathing normally, your blood oxygen level goes down โ€“ you are suffocating, much like being at high altitude with no supplemental oxygen or air pressure. This is what signals the brain to wake up or, more commonly, temporarily go into a lighter level of sleep so that the body is aroused enough to start breathing again and increase the oxygen level. This cycle can happen many times an hour.

Starving the body of oxygen has many bad effects, which you can easily read about on-line in articles about sleep apnea, etc. Sleep apnea is not something to be taken lightly.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
101% Agreement Here...

Change machines, change settings, change masks, talk to your provider's sleep therapist, or change doctors, but for goodness sake do not abandon therapy. I have one miserable time with mask leakage and yeah I went the whole nine yards from Company to doctor to therapist to provider.I had to find a way to "make it work" and the solution is quirky. I even use the machine for short naps. My BP machine and recording pulse oximeter made a believer out of me. No more snoozing at 20,000 feet.

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
With all the inefficiencies in the conversion processes, it seems to me terribly wasteful to use an inverter to convert 12 VDC to 120 VAC for a CPAP, which will then convert it back to the 12 VDC that it runs on. It is so easy to find the correct machine what will run directly off of 12 VDC using only a cord which costs $25 or less.

----------------------------------------

In pondering Wrace's experiences from 1988 and today . . .

Sleep apnea seems to be diagnosed a lot these days, and treatment for it is thus a booming business. I suspect that it was under-diagnosed previously. I suspect that I have had OSA since at least my teenage years. I suspect that my father had OSA and would have lived far beyond his 57 years had he been diagnosed and effectively treated.

Because sleep apnea is more frequently diagnosed these days, it has become a bigger cost item for insurance companies; therefore, the insurance companies are looking for savings. All manner of terms are included in policies to reduce costs to insurance companies, including for treatment of sleep apnea. When insurance companies negotiate contracts with providers, they are also looking to minimize their costs. So when receiving substandard service from providers, Iโ€™m not sure how much of it is the fault of the provider trying to minimize their costs or how much of it is due to the insurance companies ratcheting down the amounts they pay to providers.

My own decision was to take charge of it myself. For any of you out there who are unhappy with the service and equipment youโ€™ve gotten, you may be able to do the same. There are many companies on-line which will sell you the CPAP/BiPAP you want, and the prescription does not need to specify the particular machine. The machine you receive will be set to pressure and other parameters in the prescription, but if the pressure needs changed, the Clinicianโ€™s manual is usually easy enough to find โ€“ some sellers donโ€™t remove them from the package before shipping, or many can be found on the internet.

My biggest problem was that I was titrated at 13 cm, which I could not tolerate well. It was continually waking me up, which negated the benefits. Had this been my only choice, I probably would not have continued using it. I learned the availability of auto-titrating CPAPS and so I bought one of those years ago. It arrived set at the prescribed 13 cm; I re-set the pressure to a range of 10 cm minimum to 14 cm maximum.

I was able to obtain the software for reading the data from the CPAP and make necessary adjustments to minimize the number of apneas and hypopneas I was experiencing per hour. In those days, the software was not generally available and I was very lucky to get it. These days, the software for reading data many machines is readily available from on-line dealers and does not require a prescription.

Your problems and solutions may be different from mine, but I encourage everyone who needs the therapy to work on finding the solution that works for you, rather than discontinuing use of any therapy at all because of a bad experience the first time around.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

Stranger
Explorer
Explorer
ZAMP Solar has an inverter and solar panel system specifically for CPAP machine users.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "Wow, what a ride!".
2012 Mesa Ridge 345RLS
2002 RAM 3500