cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need satellite info

plgplr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Direct TV Genie DVR HR-45. MH is 2006 Tradewind with King Dome sat. We brought our DVR home system to Mesa, and have decided to purchase a portable Winegard sat. (several attempts made to get signal; all failed). Spoke with Winegard rep. who stated the Winegard Carry Out GM 1518 with a SWM 840 kit was the only compatible portable sat. available to work with this DVR. So looking on line I worry this may not be the best option. We are NOT tech people. We would like opinions from our friends at RV.net. We would like to thank all ahead of time for your valuable suggestions.
5 REPLIES 5

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your Genie REQUIRES the DirecTV SWM technology to work. Your Carryout does not have the technology built-in, but you can easily add that technology with the SWM-840 kit. You can get the wiring setup required here:
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/2452242.pdf
The necessary parts are also available on the internet for less if you know a trusted seller.
You will still not be able to get any of the DirecTV HDTV programming, but your Genie will work just fine with the Carryout with the only limitation being that you will only be able to receive the DirecTV SD programming.
What you want is a SWM8 switch and a PI28 or PI29 power inserter which you connect between the antenna and the receiver. This allows you to run one single coax to the receiver from the SWM8 switch and it will allow you use use all 5 tuners.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

badboy368
Explorer
Explorer
I ran into the same thing. The solution was the settings on the receiver. I had to set the antenna settings to

dish type..03
switch type....01

You CAN use that receiver, but only on one wire, not two feeds for the antenna.

i hope this helps
40' pusher,350 turbo cat, pullin a 37' trailer haulin a drag car. oh yea baby

moparmaga2
Explorer
Explorer
The DVR receiver model that you have is SWM only. Cannot be directly hooked up to the LNB like all of the other receivers.

If you want to keep your Receiver, you have three options. The Wineguard Carryout that is compatible with SWM, or get a Roof Mounted Wineguard Traveler. You could also get a full blown satellite dish from a house that has SWM lnbs and put it on a tripod.

The Genie is an HD receiver, and with the Wineguard Carryout, you would only be able to receive SD programming. With the other two options you could get HD programming. If you are under contract with DirectTV (You probably are since you have the latest greatest receiver), you are probably stuck paying the 10 bucks a month extra for HD service even if you only get a SD capable dish.

You could also get a different receiver from DirectTV, but again, if you are under contract, I would not expect this to happen without some money changing hands from you.

The solution I would pick if I was you would be the roof mounted Wineguard Traveler.You cannot beat it for ease of use. You also do not have to worry about it getting stolen, the wind blowing it over, your neighbor backing over your Wineguard Carryout with his truck, etc.

I currently have a roof mounted dome and am stuck with SD feeds instead of HD.
The second my Dome on the roof breaks, I am switching to the Wineguard Traveler.
2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2013 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi
2008 Yamaha FJR Sport Touring Bike in the bed of the truck

plgplr
Explorer
Explorer
DVR is HR 34-700 not HR 45.

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to call Satellite Oasis and ask them if your dvr is compatible with what you purchased. Good luck.
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator