cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to add a 110v electrical outlet

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new TT and I want to add a 110v outlet in the bunk bed area for the grandkids to plug in their Ipad chargers, TV, games, electric blanket, etc. The bunk area is against the back side of the pantry wall that also has the electrical panels, so I think it should be feasible to run wires a few feet. I've never done this kind of work but I'm generally pretty handy so I'm not afraid to tackle this with a little coaching. Are there outlet boxes that can be attached to thin paneling? I don't think there would be access from inside the pantry paneling to try to secure it to a stud without ripping out everything for access. Also, should I add another breaker and isolate this circuit or should I just add it to an existing breaker circuit? If I add a breaker what size? 15A? 20A? Thanks for any advice.
47 REPLIES 47

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay here is where I disagree with a lot of you, first off with the electrical panel on the same wall, adding a piece of romex to supply the outlet is not so hard and using a RV specific outlet is very simple. Just because they do not have full enclosure is no reason not to use them. My rig is 26 years old and I've never had a fire or a failure at one of the boxes.

You have to think of wiring like plumbing. If the power is off as it should be, it is very safe to work on. There should be three wires(#14 should be adequate) the black or colored wire is the water pressure side and the white wire is the waste side. The outlet is a sink with the smaller slot on the front being the fixture and the larger slot being the drain. The third wire is there to hold it altogether and goes to the "U" shaped slot.

There should be two buss bars in the breaker panel. One will have lots of white covered wires attached and one with bare copper wires going to it. Connect the like wire to the like wires. The colored wire will go to a breaker. If no breaker is available, you can add one, change a single to a double breaker or if need be remove the wire from one and splice it to the colored wire and add a pigtail which attaches to the breaker.

It's not rocket science, it's household wiring and to me it sounds like the OP is pretty smart. He knows where to get information and how to do stuff. He also knows that if he is stumped to take a picture and post that along with his question and he will get the help he needs.

Now here is were we come back together. I think that a shallow box with a couple of USB ports built in, is what he should install. The reason is, I can't find a duplex outlet with a duplex USB port in the RV style of outlets. I know that the Winnie we rented in Alaska a couple of years ago had a duplex outlet with two USB ports but I didn't look at it other than it being very convenient for the DGKs.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
OP,
In case you wondered, this fiasco is nothing new here.
Every time a normal person comes here asking simple questions about doing some simple electrical work, its the same thing,....we have several elec techs (not sure they are) acting like a bunch of clowns, leading you to believe their line of work is something special that no one else can do, when in reality anyone can do it w/ using just a little of their god given common sense.
I admire you and anyone else that learns to any work there is to be done on their own RVs, houses etc etc. Me, ??? there ain't nothing that I can't do, and I learned it all from experience, just like you are about to do. So carry on my friend.
Plug ??? Receptical ??? Sure glad you clowns cleared that up,....that was really helpful !!
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
A "plug" is a connector with male metal tabs. A receptacle is a female connector with spaces to accommodate a "plug".

I agree.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
As others have mentioned from your questions you don't sound very knowledgeable when it come to electric. However lets back up a minute.
Are you OK with simply adding another circuit via an electric cord that plugs into the CG pedestal?
If not are you capable of running a wire from your desired outlet location to the breaker box of the RV. You can run wire within cabinets or beneath trailer. However it needs to be done in a neat secure concealed manner.
Installing the box and making the connections is not the difficult part.

No, I am NOT going to run another circuit from the CG box. All I am going to do is add another outlet in the bunk bed area. My questions are mostly asking if I should run a dedicated circuit with an additional breaker or if I should run if off of an existing circuit. Granted, I am not an electrical expert but I am mechanically inclined (former auto tech) and I know that this isn't rocket science. With a little research and coaching, this shouldn't be any big deal.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A "plug" is a connector with male metal tabs. A receptacle is a female connector with spaces to accommodate a "plug".

Is this a regional language thing or common parlance? Maybe I'm all tightened up but it bugs the hell out of me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As others have mentioned from your questions you don't sound very knowledgeable when it come to electric. However lets back up a minute.
Are you OK with simply adding another circuit via an electric cord that plugs into the CG pedestal?
If not are you capable of running a wire from your desired outlet location to the breaker box of the RV. You can run wire within cabinets or beneath trailer. However it needs to be done in a neat secure concealed manner.
Installing the box and making the connections is not the difficult part.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Old ones never used anywhere near 10A, either. Maybe Wet Coast was thinking it is like a space heater?
..or a 12v blanket.

Somehow I don't think I'd want him wiring my 30a garage power!!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wet Coast

Is Shawnigan Lake a place we should consider visiting on our next visit? Any CGs? A few years back we were able to tour a Mars Bomber and it's just amazing their fire fighting capability.

Good advice about the plugs on a circuit but it's not always followed. My RV has a circuit with 18 plugs. Of course there is no requirement to meet any codes. My house has 9 garage and outside plugs on a 15A GFCI circuit with 270' of 14 ga wire. You know what happened the first time I used my saw on the last plug. To my surprise it meets all codes. :h
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Wet Coast wrote:
The electric blanket; that's different. That device will draw 10 amps or better

And yes, I am an electrician.
Newer ones don't draw anything near that. Maybe 100w. Never heard of a 1200w blanket!

Old ones never used anywhere near 10A, either. Maybe Wet Coast was thinking it is like a space heater?

My twin bed electric blanket is listed on the controller as consuming 180W. That, of course, is a maximum, and the average power consumption rather lower (it soon starts to resemble a sauna on high).

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wet Coast wrote:
The electric blanket; that's different. That device will draw 10 amps or better

Newer ones don't draw anything near that. Maybe 100w. Never heard of a 1200w blanket!

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
new TT and I want to add a 110v outlet in the bunk bed area for the grandkids to plug in their Ipad chargers, TV, games, electric blanket, etc.

OK, lets back up a bit. First off it's 120v. small point.

Now, if it's just another plug to run something like a wall wart for charging mobile device. Just add another outlet. Draw will be negligible. Rule of thumb is 10 devices (lights or plugs on a circuit). Figure out how many devices are on that circuit now before getting to far into this.

The electric blanket; that's different. That device will draw 10 amps or better and should be on a dedicated circuit. Depending on the service rating (amp rating of the panel/trailer feed), you might want to think about running that circuit all the way to the outside of the trailer and using a second outlet (circuit) on the power distribution point at the RV park. I am assuming this is shore power and not genie powered?

And stranded wire would be recommended if doing a lot of gravel roads. My 1987 5th wheel had solid core lumex and the wires are holding up fine.

04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
doughere wrote:
IBcarguy wrote:
Thanks to those that have offered some POSITIVE input...it's appreciated. I think there are some good suggestions for the outlet itself but should I create a dedicated circuit with it's own breaker or tie into an existing circuit?

It is probably easiest to add a 15Amp breaker if you have space in the box. If no space, you will need to disconnect an existing circuit, use it to feed this outlet, and then connect that circuit to this outlet.

Doug
Either way would be fine. Since it's for the GCs I'd make sure that the plug is GFCI protected.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
It will be used mostly for TV and Ipad chargers, and occasionally an elec blanket. From what I've learned, a 15A breaker should be safe.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
IBcarguy wrote:
should I create a dedicated circuit with it's own breaker or tie into an existing circuit?
depends on the load you plan on plugging in.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Old electrician friend told me:

"The leaking water tells the plumber he got it wrong immediately. Know how the elctrician finds out it is wrong? The fire starts."

I admire your desire to DIY, just be careful. Like others have said...it seems you still have limited knowledge on basic wiring. Please learn, understand these concepts before you try on your own.

Once you are positive you can do it RIGHT. Go for it.