cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need to replace my water pump

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump has started leaking. It was made in 08/1990, so it's probably time.

The original pump was a Shurflow 2088-403-144. This is a 3-chamber pump that shuts off at 45 PSI and does 2.8 GPM and draws 4.6 amps max.

http://www.fourwh.com/2088-403-144.pdf

I emailed Shurflow and they recommended:

4008-101-E65

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/shurflo-revolution-water-pump/49007

This is a 4-chamber pump that shuts off at 55 PSI and does 3 GPM and draws 7 amps max.

This is an old RV and I don't want to stress the plumbing system by increasing the PSI, nor do I need increased power draw.

I've emailed Shurflow back to confirm their recommendation.

What do you all think?

This looks like a better match to me?

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/specifications/2088-554-144.pdf

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

26 REPLIES 26

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I tried to google to find a picture and could not. I'll take a picture of the ones under the bed tonight. They are easy peasy to get at.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Still l--O^O--king for a pic of one of those valves. Memory hints that the pull ring holds the valve together, and after it's removed the plunger comes out the bottom/drain side. Then I guess the O-Rings are on the inside of the valve body. And a spring in there someplace too...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. I think the valve comes apart from the -bottom-- side - out the drain. I see no way to unscrew the packing out the pull ring side, which is a shame. I hoped you could unscrew the packing nut and out all would come.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have this nagging thought that AFTER I cut the leaking valve out, it came to me how I could have fixed it. The leak is nothing but an O-Ring. Just can't remember how it came apart

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Is the low point drains the only thing those pipes that disappear into the floor go to? If so, you could leave the existing valves open and install new inline valves in the accessible tubing above the valves. That would prevent the leaking/weeping when the existing valves are shut, at least.

Nope, they are inline on the cold and hot water lines that run through/under the flooring from the bathroom on one side of the RV to the shower on the other side of the RV.

There is a small hole in the carpet/floor to reveal where these valves are but that's it. The inlet and outlet sides disappear under the carpet/floor.

Steve

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
GH! Our first coach had low point drains that pulled up with a little steel ring as the handle. Crimped to the tubing, under a cabinet, hard to get at. Water leaked up past the stem when the pressure was on with the valve closed. Soaked the carpet. Been so long, I forget how I fixed it. I remember I first tried a rubber furniture tip over the stem, pull ring removed, held with hose clamp. It held shore tie water pressure with regulator, but NOT pump pressure. Been too long to remember what I did next.
This was before I heard about SharkBite fittings. If the PEX tubing is cut off clean and square, all you have to do is push the SB fitting in place. The actual SB stuff seems to be brass, but there are now other fittings using the SB design. I added a supply shutoff for the RV toilet and it was super easy, plastic fitting from Lowe's.

Yup, our low-point drains pull up with a little steel ring as the handle. They screw in place though, not crimp.

The problem is there is not enough service loop in the plumbing to remove them. The two under the sink run under/through the flooring with only a small hole cut in the flooring to reveal the drain valves. I see no way to get at them short of ripping out the bathroom sink.

Steve

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the low point drains the only thing those pipes that disappear into the floor go to? If so, you could leave the existing valves open and install new inline valves in the accessible tubing above the valves. That would prevent the leaking/weeping when the existing valves are shut, at least.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
UGH! Our first coach had low point drains that pulled up with a little steel ring as the handle. Crimped to the tubing, under a cabinet, hard to get at. Water leaked up past the stem when the pressure was on with the valve closed. Soaked the carpet. Been so long, I forget how I fixed it. I remember I first tried a rubber furniture tip over the stem, pull ring removed, held with hose clamp. It held shore tie water pressure with regulator, but NOT pump pressure. Been too long to remember what I did next.
This was before I heard about SharkBite fittings. If the PEX tubing is cut off clean and square, all you have to do is push the SB fitting in place. The actual SB stuff seems to be brass, but there are now other fittings using the SB design. I added a supply shutoff for the RV toilet and it was super easy, plastic fitting from Lowe's.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I already ordered the new pump.

I think Chris is saying that if the low point drains stick down on the outside, you could add secondary caps. That won't work if the valves are leaking onto the floor, but will if they leak out the drain and onto the ground.

Yes, the valves themselves leak. They seem to do OK if you make sure they are fully closed, but still dribble a small amount.

Steve

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When my pump leaked I replaced it with the 4088 pump. While waiting for it to come in I took it apart and cleaned the diaphragm and put silicone adhesive at the parting line that stopped the leak. I tried just cleaning it and retorqueing the bolts but that did not not stop the leak. I would try the silicone adhesive first before ordering a new pump.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think Chris is saying that if the low point drains stick down on the outside, you could add secondary caps. That won't work if the valves are leaking onto the floor, but will if they leak out the drain and onto the ground.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If you can access the end of the drains, you could just plug them with flairit plugs.

Could you please elaborate? How does plugging the drain exit stop the valve packing from leaking around the actuation stem?

Thanks,

Steve

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If you can access the end of the drains, you could just plug them with flairit plugs.
-- Chris Bryant

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Nah, the pump is perfectly accessible under one of the rear twin beds.

It's two of the four leaky drain valves under the sink.

Steve