cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEMA 14-30R (not 14-30P) to TT-30R?

DubV
Explorer
Explorer
My garage currently has a 14-30R (not 14-30P) 125/250V receptacle. Is it possible to rewire this to a TT-30R 125V receptacle? I can't seem to find an adapter anywhere.
22 REPLIES 22

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
In VAC terms...

WHITE is ALWAYS Neutral
GREEN is ALWAYS Ground
ANY OTHER COLOR is ALWAYS HOT!

ALWAYS use a tester to VERIFY and turn OFF power before playing with it....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DubV
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Gents. I assuming the double pole breaker takes 240v to trip vice the single at 120v?

Until I can get my hands on a disconnect, Could I just flip the new breaker after its hooked up?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I can add one thing, I recommend installing a disconnect switch at your new TT-30R so you aren't plugging in live all the time. This can cause damage to your shore power cord plug blades and possible eventual overheating. A motor HP rated toggle switch is compact and fits in a standard outlet box.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
\

L1 vs L2 imbalance.

I've yet to see a multi-voltage installation that had continuously balanced L1, and L2 voltages (load).

If one has constantly higher potential I choose it as the phase tap for 120 vac operation.

Reminds me to rig up a TVS system on the receptacle where my microwave plugs in. When the microwave shuts off, it either turns on or off the wireless outlet relay I use on an outside light.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nema 14-30R.......240V service
2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground

Nema TT-30R....120V service
1 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground

Go to Circuit Breaker Panel and locate the 30A double pole CB that the 14-30R is fed from.
Turn it off.
Disconnect load side wires from CB.
Remove CB and replace with a 30A single pole circuit breaker.
Wire nut one of the hot legs and wrap with electrician tape......connect other lead to new CB. (leave CB OFF)

Remove 14-30R receptacle....disconnect all wires
Connect the 1 hot leg, 1 neutral and 1 ground wire to new TT-30 receptacle and then install it in outlet box.

Turn on new 30A single pole CB and test voltage readings on new TT-30 receptacle.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a foot note I have seen blue substituted for red all other things being the same.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Easy enough. Inside the outlet box you should have four wires; black, red, white and bare (or green). Tape off the red wire and then attach black, white and bare/green to your TT-30R receptacle as indicated by its included instructions. Verify proper voltage with a tester or multimeter before connecting trailer.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes. Just put a wire nut on one of the hot connections to cap it off and wire the rest to the new outlet.