cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No 12 volt power. What to check.

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rockwood 5th wheel that is 6 years old. The 12 volt system wasn't working so I had the battery tested. Won't hold a charge. Bought and installed a new battery, still no 12 volt. Everything works fine when I am hooked to shore power. What do I need to check next?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!
9 REPLIES 9

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
My money is Bad ground from The battery.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

scenicgreenrr
Explorer
Explorer
We had similar issue on way to Florida ... the ground connection from the batteries was rusted and not a clean contact.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
The circuit breaker between the battery and the distribution panel. It will be close to the battery and may look like a small metal can. ....
That would be my bet too. Mine is somewhat hidden in the font passthrough inside a wood enclosure.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Could you have hooked it up backwards? If so then you blew the reverse polarity fuses on the fuse panel or if it's a PDI converter they will be on the power supply itself.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
YES, an automotive fuse can look OK but still be blown. That's why most of us carry a digital volt/ohm meter. Just $8 at most stores.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I do hope you have a meter so you can start running down the 12v's

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
The battery disconnect is in the "on" position. Found two 30 amp fuses in the area of the battery, both were good/not blown. One went to the motor for the landing gear, the other one disappeared into the wall of the basement.
Can an automotive fuse look ok but still be blown?
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Battery disconnect?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The circuit breaker between the battery and the distribution panel. It will be close to the battery and may look like a small metal can. Some have a reset button. You may also have a blown fuse in that location. It is indicative because as the converter tried to charge the deceased bad battery, amperage may have risen beyond the rating of that circuit breaker or fuse.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton