cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No hot water when water pump is on.

jfdavis17
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Winnebago 27rbds travel trailer, the hot water will not work while the water pump is on. If I turn on the water pump and let water pressure build in pipes and then turn it off the hot water will work until all water pressure is gone, once I turn the pump on the water will turn cold until I turn it back off at which point it will go back to hot until the pressure is gone again. The camper was brought straight from the dealership to a remote location where it is now, I have never had it hooked up to a municipal water system so I do not know how it would behave on one. Any help would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
There is one question left to answer. Im not familiar with the Winnebago TTs, however several Winnebago/Itasca class As have only 1 valve for the W/H bypass. If (by chance) this Winnebago TT has only one valve, the there is a check valve in the back of the W/H. (specifically the hot water outlet). That check valve is notorious for filling up with calcium and preventing hot water from flowing thru the lines, however the tank itself is filled with hot water.

This particular case sounds more like an issue with (possibly) the pump itself. Check to see if you have a dirty vacuum screen on the inlet side of your water pump. (Big round thing between inlet line connection and pump itself). Also make sure the inlet/outlet lines are tight. Finally check the area, make sure the valve for the siphon hose (for winterize) is closed completely, and valve for siphon hose (from fresh tank) is open completely.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water pump ON...cold water flows thru water heater bypass closing the check valve in hot outlet nipple on tank.
Turn water pump OFF.hot water flows out of water heater tank due to higher pressure in water heater from heating the water

Close the WH bypass.

Outside shower being turned off at handle vs closing cold/hot knobs will mix the water...but typically you end up with warm water which gets colder vs hot or cold.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outside shower ("dog wash"), make sure both valves are turned off, not just the control on the shower head. As with an incorrect bypass setting, the open faucets can allow cold water to run into the hot line when the higher cold pressure with the pump on over powers the hot pressure. With the pump off, the lower pressure may allow the system to work near normally.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

boss_hoss_1
Explorer
Explorer
ken white wrote:
Nice simple and clear explanation Old-Biscuit.

๐Ÿ™‚
Agreed!

jfdavis17
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses, I did try lifting the valve pressure, but it was with the pump off. I will try all the above starting with the bypass valve next weekend when I return to the camper. Kind of annoying having to have people stand next to the pump switch while you take a hot shower. Especially if they wander off right in the middle of the shower.

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Try draining the water heater then refilling to rest abolish the air pocket in top of tank...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Using logical thinking,....if the water in the tank is hot, then it is impossible for anything but hot water to come out of the hot water faucet, un less the cold water pipe is connected to the hot water pipe somewhere.
And I don't see where having the pump on or off would have anything to do w/ that.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Nice simple and clear explanation Old-Biscuit.

๐Ÿ™‚
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV water heaters by design have an 'air pocket' in top of water heater tank. The air pocket allows for expansion of water when heater without a big increase in pressure. Air can be compressed/water won't.

Getting cold water from hot side of faucet.........water heater 'bypass' valve is still open.

3 valve system......bypass is one on red/blue line

2 valve system......bypass position shown (valve handles pointing in direction of flow)

Different 2 valve system.....bypass is one on red/blue line

1 valve system......bypass would be if valve handle was pointing up

Check the backside of YOUR water heater.
Cold water should go in bottom and hot water out top.
No flow between cold/hot on connecting line (bypass line)

OPEN Cold inlet and Hot outlet (if you have a hot outlet valve and not just a check valve)
CLOSE bypass
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Did you relief the pressure at the top of the water heater? Sometimes that may be a problem ? MAKE sure it is cold, life the releif valve at the top with your water pump going , you may get some bubbles and finnaly water.
Good luck
Chuck

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your water heater bypass valves may not be set correctly. If you have 3 valves, the 2 in the pipes into the heater should be on, the one between the hot and cold water pipes should be off.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory