cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining and installing larger Onan generator.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our Revolution is now 9 years old. It appears we will have it for life.
It has a 7500 kw Onan diesel generator, in the green case up under the cab area. How difficult is it to change it out for a 10,000 kw, or even 15,000.
Thinking off looking at the four house battery situation and increasing to six or even 8, on slide out tray. Convert the whole coach to all electric among other things.
How much could it cost and how about making it a drop down or lever down unit to be worked on? Size difference?
anything else need changing?
Hopefully can find a the larger Onan salvaged from a newer Mh and save some money?
15 REPLIES 15

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
for autostart, Onan sells a wireless remote control unit
EC30W, http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/rv/ec30Wmanual-en.pdf

ain't cheap, but requires no wire fishing into a wall.
I intend to put one on my 7kw onan generator
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think that comparative cubic footage compressor RV refrigerators use less total energy than absorption RV refrigerators.

Compressor refrigs use less electrical energy, but of course absorption refrigs get the bulk of their energy from propane. So far, I prefer the all-weather, any season, any time of day, any location energy that is sourced from propane. This is especially my preference since propane is required on most drycamping RVs for other reasons, anyway.

Now ... if only I could afford to get my RV storage battery recharge energy from an on-board 24/7 propane powered fuel cell ...
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
The OP's reasons for considering a larger generator seemed to be partially driven by a desire for a compressor refrigerator.

I wonder how many more of us would be completely happy with our absorption RV refrigerators if either RV builders, or absorption refrig manufacturers, provided: Either self-leveling refrigerator mounts ... or self-leveling internal absorption mechanism leveling??

Well I certainly don't think a compressor type fridge would be justification for a bigger generator as compressor fridges use considerably less power than an absorption fridge. The only plus of an absorption fridge is their ability to run on propane. Now a days with solar panels and inverters being so cheap I don't really even think thats an advantage any more. I can't imagine ever going back to an absorption type fridge. Compressor type fridges work work fine in dry camping situations as long as they are properly installed with adequate solar and inverter capacity.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP's reasons for considering a larger generator seemed to be partially driven by a desire for a compressor refrigerator.

I wonder how many more of us would be completely happy with our absorption RV refrigerators if either RV builders, or absorption refrig manufacturers, provided: Either self-leveling refrigerator mounts ... or self-leveling internal absorption mechanism leveling??
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another thing to consider for the 7500: The neutral wire must be large enough to handle the maximum 62A on the neutral vs 31A on the hot wires. ie 7500/120 = 62.5A
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Well a stove top with 4 burners can consume 8KW. Now add 2 ACs to keep the rig cool with 4 burners going. Likely the cook won't be satisfied with using less burners or AC. So you could exceed even the 10K gen.

Plus and this is a big one the 7500 Onan does not have 240V so no electric stove top/range capability.

Most of the stove tops in RVs are 2 burner. Not sure if thry are 110 or 220 though.
Of course and there are lots of tradeoffs.

I think you missed my point - Even at 4KW for a stove top and 2 ACs you could be really pushing a 7500 Onan. And most likely at 120V vs 240V you would have less stove top heating capability.

But my point is that for an electric RV 7500W is marginal. I had a 7500 Onan in the last rig that was very difficult to push to 62A. But then I didn't have a stove top.

All electric implies significant AC power. But if the OP is asking about options and he should know that he can compromise or not.

Good post. All good things to consider. I think if it was me I would simply manage the power and save some money. Depends on the OPs expectations and budget.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
John & Angela wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Well a stove top with 4 burners can consume 8KW. Now add 2 ACs to keep the rig cool with 4 burners going. Likely the cook won't be satisfied with using less burners or AC. So you could exceed even the 10K gen.

Plus and this is a big one the 7500 Onan does not have 240V so no electric stove top/range capability.

Most of the stove tops in RVs are 2 burner. Not sure if thry are 110 or 220 though.
Of course and there are lots of tradeoffs.

I think you missed my point - Even at 4KW for a stove top and 2 ACs you could be really pushing a 7500 Onan. And most likely at 120V vs 240V you would have less stove top heating capability.

But my point is that for an electric RV 7500W is marginal. I had a 7500 Onan in the last rig that was very difficult to push to 62A. But then I didn't have a stove top.

All electric implies significant AC power. But if the OP is asking about options and he should know that he can compromise or not.

Bob

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

westend
Explorer
Explorer
10KW Onan RV plus substantial labor for a serviceable mounting solution, maybe another $5K.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm. I can't see why you would need a bigger genny even with an electric range. A residential fridge uses less power than an absorption unit. The 7.5 should cover your needs. I second the suggestion for 500 to 800 watts of solar on the roof. You can also add 4 more batterys to the rear compartment. They fit perfectly. Good luck and happy trails.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both our 7.5 and 10K gens were on slides and both were in the front which helps with load balancing. You'll probably need heavier slides and if you're very lucky the space will be adequate. Due to the weight I'm not sure lowering/raising the unit is practical.

The 7.5 should be adequate for the new refer. But electric range type thinking might put you in the 12K gen league.

Bob

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Generator does fine, except it needs auto start installed. All electric or at least the refrigerator gave me some question.
The possibility of an electric range or cooking surface and oven was a thought.
When this one needs servicing such as belts, I understand it going to be hard and expensive. Some arrangement of allowing the whole unit to be lowered and simply raised and secured with bolts, pins or what not was a though.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You can run this electric induction range from your 7,500 watt Onan.

http://www.compactappliance.com/SINC1110-Summit-Single-Zone-Built-In-Induction-Cooktop/SINC1110.html...
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com