cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

onan 4000 fuel filter

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
anyone replaced the fuel filter on onan 4000, easy or hard? comments please from someone who has done it. thank's in advance.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›
10 REPLIES 10

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
CloudDriver wrote:
I had the fuel pump on our Onan 4KYFA26100K fail a few years back. On this model the filter is screwed into the suction port on the pump as shown in the pic below. The rubber fuel line goes onto the barb fitting on the filter, which is accessible from the side of the generator base. The filter can be replaced without removing the pump using a deep socket, which is (I think) a 9/16". I used a piece of dowel to plug the fuel line to prevent a siphon.

Onan # for the filter

interesting, yes i am having a problem with it. it will run about 3-5 minutes then start sputtering and quit, it will usually start back up fairly quick then die again.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
This is the best forum for all things Onan:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I had the fuel pump on our Onan 4KYFA26100K fail a few years back. On this model the filter is screwed into the suction port on the pump as shown in the pic below. The rubber fuel line goes onto the barb fitting on the filter, which is accessible from the side of the generator base. The filter can be replaced without removing the pump using a deep socket, which is (I think) a 9/16". I used a piece of dowel to plug the fuel line to prevent a siphon.

Onan # for the filter
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Lincoln4
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to confirm only one fuel filter... I did my research on my Onan 7500, finding that it actually uses two fuel filters. That said they were easy to replace and I'm glad I did it myself. I simply used a pair of channel locks to pinch off the fuel supply.

You didn't really say what the reason for the filter replacement was... Just maintenance, or a problem? I was having a problem with the genny running for 10-15 minutes and quitting. After replacing the fuel filters and running a bunch of Seafoam through it, I learned of a problem with the fuel pumps used at the time of production. I replaced the fuel pump for about $25 bucks from Amazon, and it now runs like new.
Tom & Jana fulltiming in the driveway. Hitting the road June 1.
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
Looking for a new Toad...

My blog

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel will not siphon from the tank, but you could clamp the rubber line to keep anything from draining out.

Are you replacing for general maintenance, or are you having an issue? I ask only in that with a 1/4 tank high pickup, it's highly unlikely that any junk is being pulled into the filter. If you are having an issue with it clogging, it is likely a bad fuel line, might be worth replacing any rubber lines between the pickup and the generator.

I replaced my filter while putting in a new fuel pump, so no experience on removing the filter only.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
ADAD437 wrote:

didn't check model, but not like yours.filter screws in on side and hard to get to, wondering if fuel will siphon from tank if line disconeticded from filter?

That probably depends mainly on how high your generator is in relation to the fuel tank.

One sure way to prevent siphoning fuel is to do the work when the fuel level in the tank is below about a quarter tank, and so lower than the generator pickup. At worse you'd drain the (relatively) small amount of fuel in the line between the tank and the generator.

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
ok looked, it is a RV QG4000 MODEL 4KYFA26100L.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
Which model exactly?

Here is my 4BGE "Onan 4000"

You can see the fuel filter. You will want to unthread it carefully and thread on a new one and be careful not to cross-thread. It's easy to cross thread the metal tubing connector if it's not lined up exactly right.

Be sure to check for leaks after installing. Do not overtighten.

Steve

didn't check model, but not like yours.filter screws in on side and hard to get to, wondering if fuel will siphon from tank if line disconeticded from filter?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Which model exactly?

Here is my 4BGE "Onan 4000"

You can see the fuel filter. You will want to unthread it carefully and thread on a new one and be careful not to cross-thread. It's easy to cross thread the metal tubing connector if it's not lined up exactly right.

Be sure to check for leaks after installing. Do not overtighten.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Try Youtube first.