cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Gold 7000 Starts fine, runs for 10 seconds Code 36

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan starts easily, runs for about 10 seconds, then shuts down. reports code 36. Try to re-start but will not, spits fuel out of the intake on carburetor. Wait until the next day, will start right back up, then dies after about 10 seconds. Code 36
6 REPLIES 6

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
Exact same problem here. I changed out the fuel filter which cleared the 36 but resulted in a 15. Had to replace the carb to clear the 15. Pump was not an issue in either case. Original pump still on the unit with a new filter and carburetor. All is good one again! Runs like a champ! Good luck!

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
But mine only runs for 10 SECONDS. I have both breakers on the genset OFF.
The choke is closed. I push start, it fires right up smooth as silk. choke opens up like it should. runs perfect. but only about 10
seconds.

After that. Will not start. tries to start but won't. Fuel spits out of the carb/choke area.

Wait a few hours and it will easily start up again, but only 10 seconds of runtime.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like this guy fixed the same symptoms by replacing the fuel pump...

GENERATOR ONLY RUNS for short time RV FORUM...

Good reading....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
See if this works: Turn off all demands on the generator until it is warmed up. That includes converter, refrig,water heater, microwave, whatever. My onan doesn't like the extra load at startup of the converter. Once running for a couple of minutes it is fine. Also be sure your elevation dial on the generator is set for you current elevation. Good Luck.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dirty carb and/or fuel pump.

DO you exercise gen monthly?

Do you use any Stabil or SeaFoam additive to gen fuel?

Code 36 is an uncommanded shut down. This means the genset control did not detect any fault, the genset just stopped.

Usually this means fuel, but can be caused by carb issues, plugged air cleaner, bad plugs, magnetos or anything that would cause an engine to die.

Check your fuel first.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dirt_dawg
Explorer
Explorer
replace the fuel pump. had same problem. http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E11015-Electric-Fuel-Generator/product-reviews/B0076D5OI2
about 80 bucks cheaper then onan price. easy change out.
Dirt Dawg
2007 Itasca Sunova 33t
2000 Gold Wing CSC Trike, 1978 Honda CB550K