cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Marquis 6500 LP Starts but no power

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
The aforementioned model has at least 1600 hours, not sure of previous maintenance, I don't see any outlet on the gen itself so I'm not sure how I can go about testing for power, current etc. it has had power before almost over a year ago. Now No power to Microwave, Outlets or AC, also it won't turn on or off the with in house remote only with start/off switch on the gen I saw a similar post on here about cleaning brushes etc. we're mentioned, I was told by an RV shop that in order for it to be serviced like changing filter etc. it needs to be dropped, so I doubt there is much I can do other than change the plug which I did about a year or so ago, and add oil which I did yesterday. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
1994 Tiffin Allegro Bay 32 Foot Diesel Pusher
9 REPLIES 9

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Only test at the ATS if you are safe working around 120VAC (30 amp) and 240 VAC (50 amp)!

Remove lid. There will be two sets of wires coming in-- one from shore power and one from generator.

With everything off/disconnected, verify that all wires are clean and tight.

Start generator and check between black wire (hot) and white wire (neutral) and green wire (ground). Should read 120 VAC. If 50 amp, check between red and white and red and green as well. It also should read 120 VAC.

If you do not have 120 VAC at the ATS with generator running, check the connection where the generator output is wired to the coach wiring.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
I can't really tell if the power switch is working, it clicked on fine when I connected shore power, and the Microwave and AC work, what's the likelihood that it's the brushes inside the gen and is there anyway to check?
Thanks

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
Tried resetting the breakers on the gen, no joy, anything else I can check on my own? How can I test the transfer switch?

Thanks

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcan Rider wrote:
wealthwise wrote:
I don't see any outlet on the gen itself so I'm not sure how I can go about testing for power,

Thoughts (some or all may not apply):

Is your battery disconnect switch ON ? If it has automatic transfer capability, it might need 12 V for that feature to work.

With my C, the gen outlet is near the shore power cord and the shore power cord must be plugged in there to get power from the gen to the coach. If you have any automatic transfer features, that likely will NOT apply.

Unlike my last rig the shore power does not have to be plugged in, I believe it's auto transfer. and as far as I can see there is no plug near the gen.
Thanks

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
wealthwise wrote:
I don't see any outlet on the gen itself so I'm not sure how I can go about testing for power,

Thoughts (some or all may not apply):

Is your battery disconnect switch ON ? If it has automatic transfer capability, it might need 12 V for that feature to work.

With my C, the gen outlet is near the shore power cord and the shore power cord must be plugged in there to get power from the gen to the coach. If you have any automatic transfer features, that likely will NOT apply.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
wealthwise wrote:
Are the breakers the two switches on the right side that say on and off? If so I think thy are both on, I will have to check tomorrow, if they are on off, then I guess all I have todo is reset them.
Thanks

If they are on (not tripped), turn them off and back on.

Correct. Off and back on. The "tripped position" is too close to "on". Better to go off and back on.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
wealthwise wrote:
Are the breakers the two switches on the right side that say on and off? If so I think thy are both on, I will have to check tomorrow, if they are on off, then I guess all I have todo is reset them.
Thanks

If they are on (not tripped), turn them off and back on.

wealthwise
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
on my 5500 LP - the breakers right by the on/off switch sometimes trip
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30