Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outdoor GFCI outlet trips when using electric cooktop

Revolver
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
When I plug my electric cooktop into the outdoor GFCI outlet, the GFCI trips. The cooktop is rated at 1000w according to the label. Do those GFCI outlets have a lower amperage rating than normal?

Thanks,
Ray
2016 Avenger 32BIT
21 REPLIES 21

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:

Ok guys . So .i pluged mine into a regular plug. My bad ... How many campers or tenters plug an extention cord into the 15a plug on the pedistal (that is not a gfci ) and run griddles ,kettles and coffee makers off that .

I would be very suspicious of a campground that has such an outdated electrical system the the 15/20a receptacles are not GFCI protected. I haven't seen that for ages.

Most sites I have been to have a 30a and a 15 a which does not have gfi. Might be different in the US but here in Ont I havent seen them.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
whjco wrote:
You could possibly have a heating element going bad in the cooktop unit that's allowing AC current to leak to ground thereby tripping the GFI.

Could be the result of the capacitance from heating conductor to grounded outer casing of heating element.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
It could cost more to repair than to replace the unit.

This is likely true. If I had the issue, I would test with a meter. Any sign of contact to ground, I would take it apart. Working on a dead animal, so nothing to loose. Looking from inside, if don't see a loose connection or worn insulation toss the pieces. I might learn something, and I can be sure nobody gets hurt trying to use it.

I would hope that a rational person would consider it more important to be safe. GFCIs are designed to protect you from potential electric shock. To me this trumps any "use" consideration.

Same hope, but no faith. Protect the valuable. LOL

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:

Ok guys . So .i pluged mine into a regular plug. My bad ... How many campers or tenters plug an extention cord into the 15a plug on the pedistal (that is not a gfci ) and run griddles ,kettles and coffee makers off that .

I would be very suspicious of a campground that has such an outdated electrical system the the 15/20a receptacles are not GFCI protected. I haven't seen that for ages.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
You could possibly have a heating element going bad in the cooktop unit that's allowing AC current to leak to ground thereby tripping the GFI.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:
Mine is the samee...just plug it into a different plug ,that is not on gfi, with an extention cord.

I disagree, the GFCI is there to save lives. The cooktop is probably defective and should be tossed.

I'm not real strong on the "toss", but somebody that knows what they are doing to check for small short. But if it is more important to use than to be safe, keep kids, dogs and other important things away from it.

I would hope that a rational person would consider it more important to be safe. GFCIs are designed to protect you from potential electric shock. To me this trumps any "use" consideration.

Equilizer 4 pt

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:
Mine is the samee...just plug it into a different plug ,that is not on gfi, with an extention cord.

I disagree, the GFCI is there to save lives. The cooktop is probably defective and should be tossed.

I'm not real strong on the "toss", but somebody that knows what they are doing to check for small short. But if it is more important to use than to be safe, keep kids, dogs and other important things away from it.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
beemerphile1 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer 4 pt

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
JRscooby wrote:
It was explained to me the breakers are to protect things from fire. The GFI is to protect you from shock. When a GFI trips, it might be a bad GFI, but make sure your kids and dogs assume that it is the appliance is bad.
This is a really good explanation. Anybody should be able to understand what it's saying.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was explained to me the breakers are to protect things from fire. The GFI is to protect you from shock. When a GFI trips, it might be a bad GFI, but make sure your kids and dogs assume that it is the appliance is bad.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
wopachop wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Revolver wrote:
Hello,
When I plug my electric cooktop into the outdoor GFCI outlet, the GFCI trips. The cooktop is rated at 1000w according to the label. Do those GFCI outlets have a lower amperage rating than normal?

Thanks,
Ray

No, it sounds more like a small amount of internal leakage inside the cooktop, possibly from a cracked element insulator - the GFI is likely reacting to this worn condition..
Can you explain more por favor? Does the crack itself fill with a somewhat conductive liquid causing the hot and ground to tickle each other?

Basically your plug has 3 pins. The power comes in through one blade and is supposed to leave through the other. These are sometimes referred to as the hot and the neutral. For safety in case something breaks and the hot wire touches the same parts that you do (the case) the round pin connects the case to ground so that the electricity doesn't try to go through you to get to ground. The GFI circuit essentially counts the electrons going out through the hot blade connector and compares it with the number coming back through the neutral. If there is a difference it concludes that there is a possibility that the case is charged with electricity and you could be injured so it shuts off the flow of electricity. Many times the device would still work and the leak from hot to the case is taken care of by the ground but just in case you have a ground problem the GFI kills the circuit. There may or may not be "conductive liquid" (water) present but somehow the electricity is finding its way to the case. The best solution is to check the cooktop by trying it on another GFI outlet and replacing it if that GFI trips as well.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
“Can you explain more por favor? Does the crack itself fill with a somewhat conductive liquid causing the hot and ground to tickle each other?“

wa8yxm has provided a great summary...