cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Panels don't run things

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your response to people who ask you "what will your solar panels run?" (run, as in power, operate)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
64 REPLIES 64

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
My girlfriend says, "we're going to run the RV power as lean as on Apollo 13".
And you said...?

"Houston, we no longer have a problem"
There is something special about camping in an RV.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
And you said...?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
...my 12v power usage is insignificant compared to my inverter power...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
Except that most things in your camper are not powered by the inverter.
In terms of numbers, maybe, but my 12v power usage is insignificant compared to my inverter power.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

I tell them it charges my batteries and then an inverter powers things in the camper.
Except that most things in your camper are not powered by the inverter

Always one in the crowd.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Wouldn't saying "panels don't run things" to a curious person be like saying, "we don't take the RV, we tow it" when someone asks if you are going to take your RV on your next camping trip?
Good question. It might be more like if they asked if I was taking my motorhome on the next camping trip and I said it's a 5th wheel, not a motorhome.

I guess you have to choose between 'get off my lawn', and education, judging by how curious the person actually is. Some actually want the education, some just want a simple answer to what they think is a simple question.

After all, nobody asks 'what will your converter run?'

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
4x4van wrote:
So since RV solar and S&B solar are really different animals in terms of what/how they do their job, it is a fair question for someone unfamiliar with either (or both) to ask.
So how do you answer them?
Well, since I don't have solar (RV or S&B), they don't ask me. However, I'd like to think that I would simply tell them that the RV solar panels are generally charging the batteries, but that they do provide enough energy to run x, y, and/or z.

But don't worry, I'll stay off your lawn.;)

austinjenna wrote:
I tell them it charges my batteries and then an inverter powers things in the camper.
Except that most things in your camper are not powered by the inverter.:h
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't saying "panels don't run things" to a curious person be like saying, "we don't take the RV, we tow it" when someone asks if you are going to take your RV on your next camping trip?

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I tell them it charges my batteries and then an inverter powers things in the camper. If they are interested and ask more about it I will gladly explain it to them as they seem genuinely interested in it. Sometimes they just say 'oh' and walk away which is fine as well.

Explaining things to people is how they learn!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Naio wrote:
I try to figure out what people are really asking, when they ask weird questions ๐Ÿ™‚
Really. You have to filter that as to what answer will be meaningful. What I often find is that they ask a question, but they really just want to talk, and you listen.

There are situations (not to do with solar) where I am tempted to ask, "Do you really want to know, or do you just want to tell me that I'm doing it wrong?"

I've been asked to see my electrical system (since it's a bit unusual), but after a minute or so the person becomes bored and uninterested, doesn't ask any questions, and we start talking about his stuff. Then I become bored and uninterested.

Lolololol
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
What is your response to people who ask you "what will your solar panels run?" (run, as in power, operate)

It keeps my beer cold!

HTH;
John

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
So since RV solar and S&B solar are really different animals in terms of what/how they do their job, it is a fair question for someone unfamiliar with either (or both) to ask.
So how do you answer them?

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, some really "Get off my lawn!" type of people here using solar, glad I'm not camped next to some of you. Residential solar does in fact "run" things in the house, through an inverter; and few homeowners have storage for their solar. So since RV solar and S&B solar are really different animals in terms of what/how they do their job, it is a fair question for someone unfamiliar with either (or both) to ask.

At least a few of you (DrewE, BFL13...) gave answers that make me believe I would enjoy camping near them...but others; not so much. I don't think I could reach up that far (to your high horses).:R
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
I try to figure out what people are really asking, when they ask weird questions ๐Ÿ™‚
Really. You have to filter that as to what answer will be meaningful. What I often find is that they ask a question, but they really just want to talk, and you listen.

I've been asked to see my electrical system (since it's a bit unusual), but after a minute or so the person becomes bored and uninterested, doesn't ask any questions, and we start talking about his stuff. Then I become bored and uninterested.