cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pinhole leaks in sewer hose - what to replace with?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just discovered that 2 out of our 4 Valterra EZ Coupler hoses have pinhole leaks. Less than 3 years old and always stored in our pass-through compartment when not in use (with ends coupled). Never abused so not sure how this happens, although I believe it's not uncommon.

Are there better quality ones available? Maybe the Thetford Smartdrain or Camco Rhinoflex? I'd rather not have to replace our fittings but I do find the twist connections are hard to get on and off sometimes. Maybe Thetford and Camco connections are easier to do?
38 REPLIES 38

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
I've had a Sewer Solution. Sold it after complaints from a campground for using too much water to dump the tanks and flush.

Then I bought a macerator. It's for sale. Not a good place to mount it permanently on our current trailer, and it is a pain hook up and take off. I also don't like having both the gray and black tanks open at the same time as required to use it properly.

Another thing with macerators is the heavy weight hanging off the end of the outlet pipe and vibration from the motor running can cause either the outlet pipe or the macerator connectors to break.

It seemed we were always needing to use the Rhino hose anyway.

The Rhino hose isn't indestructible. Getting it out of the rear bumper helps prevent damage. Also, it depends upon how long you leave it attached. Like any plastic / plastic like product - it is susceptible to UV damage. And small critters. We spend 103 days at Big Bend NP - and that did in a three year old Rhino.

For our next CH position, I'm getting some gutter material to put on top of the sewer hose to protect it.

Also - read the warnings about sewer hoses and the Grand Canyon Campground. The ravens know sewer hoses often have nice tidbits inside them to eat. And they will break into any sewer hose left out.

If a campground complains about my sewer solution using too much water my rig is mobile and there are many more campgrounds.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I found that the bumper tube rusted and the scale from the rust created pin holes in the hose. The hose was free to move back and forth plus the jiggiling .The hose in now in a 5" galvenized pipe and no more trouble. Plus I have Rino flex hoses.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Another thing with macerators is the heavy weight hanging off the end of the outlet pipe and vibration from the motor running can cause either the outlet pipe or the macerator connectors to break.

if this is an issue, you can easily just use a foot of a good stinky slinky to bridge between outlet pipe and the macerator to take the vibration.
and as far as the excessive water use of a sewer solution, those who backflush filling the tank up three times using a clear elbow probably use as much if not more.
bumpy

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Sewer Solution. Sold it after complaints from a campground for using too much water to dump the tanks and flush.

Then I bought a macerator. It's for sale. Not a good place to mount it permanently on our current trailer, and it is a pain hook up and take off. I also don't like having both the gray and black tanks open at the same time as required to use it properly.

It seemed we were always needing to use the Rhino hose anyway.

The Rhino hose isn't indestructible. Getting it out of the rear bumper helps prevent damage. Also, it depends upon how long you leave it attached. Like any plastic / plastic like product - it is susceptible to UV damage. And small critters. We spend 103 days at Big Bend NP - and that did in a three year old Rhino.

For our next CH position, I'm getting some gutter material to put on top of the sewer hose to protect it.

Also - read the warnings about sewer hoses and the Grand Canyon Campground. The ravens know sewer hoses often have nice tidbits inside them to eat. And they will break into any sewer hose left out.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

scottykrug
Explorer
Explorer
Rhino flex. The rain gutter idea is brilliant. We use two 2x6s that are cut to fit crossways in the bed of the truck. Lay the hose on those and slant them as needed for flow. Place 2x4 stubs underneath for angle as needed.

Had two cheapo vinyl hoses that came with the camper for about a year. On their last trip I was only draining gray water, but it was shooting out of holes and seams. Bought the rhino kit from walmart the next day and tossed the whole cheapo assembly. Will buy another rhino if this one ever fails. Going on three years now.
2009 Ram 3500 Mega 6.7TD
2015 Puma Palomino 295BHSS
Copilot (DW) Navigator (DD) Flight Engineer (DS)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We happened to be near a CW where we are camping so we dropped in and had a look at the various hoses. The Valterra Viper hose might be the way to go and that way we can still use the Valterra bayonet style fittings we already have. With the Viper hose, you can buy just a section of hose and not have to buy a kit with fittings we don't need.

The Viper hose is made from TPE (thermoplastic elastomers) and Valterra says it is virtually indestructible, is puncture resistant and returns to it's original shape when crushed.

The only problem with the Viper hose is that it is around 3 times the price of the lesser EZ-Coupler hose and could cost us over $200 for a set of 4 hoses. ๐Ÿ˜ž Maybe it will be on sale somewhere at the end of the season.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
martipr wrote:
The Rhino is very good but hands down the Sewer Solution is the answer. It changes your whole dumping routine, almost makes it pleasurable.

yep, I looked forward to using mine to dump the black tank. ๐Ÿ™‚
incidently you can make one of these yourself for about $20.
bumpy

Your right Bumpy, I remember seeing a post about making one. I am not sure about the hose though, the one from Sewer Solution is a pretty special 1" hose. It connects with 1" PVC pipe for longer runs, I connect to 50' of PVC to the sewer at my home. For $73.00 at Amazon it is worth it, and I am a real cheapskate.

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of good hoses out there and stick with the "heavy duty" versions. They are sold in "mil" thickness and the thicker the better. I've got a 10 year old sewer hose that I got when we first got into RV'ing and it's still fine. It's a heavy duty blue hose, don't remember the brand, probably Camco or Valterra.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought the pin holes were the result of freezing a hose over winter that was not completely free of moisture. Guess if it happens to users in the south where it does not freeze then it must be from mechanical ware and tear.

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
x2

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I guess everyone thinks differently on this forum which is good. Myself I would rather replace mine with a new one from Walmart every 5 years due to pin holes or rusted springs than buy one for 4 times the price that will last 10 years, unless someone steps on it. They start to smell after several years anyway. Mine is encapsulated in a plastic housing and does not get disconnected except when I change it.

It is NOT just that it lasts longer.

I too dug my heels in thinking I was not going to buy some new dodad sewer hose either. IMHO a sewer hose was a sewer hose.

Then I helped an elderly couple at a CG unhook their Rhino sewer hose and put it away for them because the husband was not feeling well.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! After 6 years of handling/trying to jam that cheap stinky slinky that comes with your MH and then handling that Rhino hose just once was all it took. I ran out and bought one that day.

I could not believe how just changing to the Rhino made hooking, unhooking up to the sewer and storage SO much easier.

The key feature is that it "collapses" any where in the line you want so for short runs you don't have a full length of slinky winding all over you site to the sewer hookup. You are in control of just how much sewer hose you need. Then collapse it all the way to fit in one corner of your bay flat instead of a balled up slinky that won't stay put after you put it in.

And their connections and extension are IMHO the best around. When you buy the Rhino it also INCLUDES all the connectors you are going to eventually have to buy when required by CG's.

I use the sewer connection ALL the time whether it is required or not. Wish everybody did. It eliminates all the sewer smell that comes out when you just shove a hose down it without a connector.

Sorry for pushing the Rhino I just wished I didn't wait so long to get sewer hose smart! Sure made my RV'ing experience a whole lot nicer!:B
Thanks for the explanation, but in my case the sewer hose is encased in a thermoplastic semi circular housing under the wet bay compartment I slide it out to dump and back in to store. It never lays on the ground and I just slide out enough hose to reach the dump hole. I never remove have to remove it except to replace it. I don't know what other MFG's have this set up but I really like it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
martipr wrote:
The Rhino is very good but hands down the Sewer Solution is the answer. It changes your whole dumping routine, almost makes it pleasurable.

yep, I looked forward to using mine to dump the black tank. ๐Ÿ™‚
incidently you can make one of these yourself for about $20.
bumpy

martipr
Explorer
Explorer

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
myredracer wrote:
I can't see any abrasions or signs of where the leaks would be. I can hear them if I lift the hose to move the contents along. ..

If you get a sidewinder you do NOT have to lift the hose to empty it.

Its' graduated and expandable to fit any type of situation you have at a CG. I don't leave home without it.

We've got a slinky. Actually several of them because we have a wye fitting for two grey tanks. It's a PITA to get the slope all right when you have a wye fitting to deal with and 3 sections of hose.

I got in the habit of just laying the hose on the ground and working the "stuff" along. Saves the time of setting up the slinkies and packing away. Haven't been laying the hose on sharp crushed gravel.