cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generator recommendations

bassinrupp
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 3791 montana and are planning a couple day trips to some dirt tracks and looking to purchase a portable generator not a honda. Probably only put 20 hours a year on it thats the biggest reason for steering away from the honda investment
31 REPLIES 31

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Ltrip wrote:
kevden wrote:
I bought a champion and it works great. It is a propane powered one. I wanted a propane unit because we tow with a suv and had nowhere to store gas. The carb never gums up, the fuel never goes bad, and the engine oil looks new when I change it annualy.

Kevden, what is your experience running the AC unit with your generator? I am looking to buy a generator as well, and running on propane generates less power. I have heard mixed responses on this issue.
Thanks!

Our is an open-frame type 2800/3500 watt unit. It has no problem with the 13.5k btu ac. I plan to replace it with a quieter lp powered inverter unit.
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bassinrupp wrote:
I have a 3791 montana and are planning a couple day trips to some dirt tracks and looking to purchase a portable generator not a honda. Probably only put 20 hours a year on it thats the biggest reason for steering away from the honda investment

Everything you ever wanted to know about "generators" - and more,
is in the *Tech Issues* forum (here).

A search in that forum (current 12 months & archives) - by brand name or "generic" - will add LOTS more of the - "and more"!

:C

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:
the remote start models, have a electrically controlled choke. the button on the unit just activates the solenoid, as does the remote start.

Thanks for getting back to the OP on this so quickly!

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Ltrip wrote:
DiskDoctr, Question about using the remote start. Sounds awesome, but....
There is a choke knob. My experience with any motor with a choke, is that you generally need to use it! So, your description of starting the generator on a cold morning from the warmth of your trailer.....Really? No need to choke it? Gas or propane?
I am not being argumentative, just looking for real world use experience.
Cheers,

Good question ๐Ÿ˜‰

I was concerned that I would have to go to the unit and manually start it the first time of the day, then use the remote start. Fortunately that isn't the case ๐Ÿ™‚

I think it does have a "more aggressive" way to choke it physically, but it has the auto choke for the remote start. I've never had it not start for us.

Of course, you do have battery management to think about in the off season. Remove it and keep it charged, just in case.

I have the gas model. Messing with tanks for the camper and grill is enough. I like to have redundant fuel sources- electric, propane, gasoline. If we run low on one, no requirement to go to the supply right away.

I have a 2 gallon gas can. When we leave for a trip, it is empty and the generator is mostly empty. I either stop close to the destination, or make fuel part of our grocery supply run ๐Ÿ˜‰

We travel with enough groceries for the first morning and lunch. Gives us a chance to have a leisurely start the first full day and then out to scope out the area and pick up some groceries in whatever nearby town. Also benefits the local economy of those supporting the destination we like ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope this answers your questions?

Pure_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
I use to have a Champion 4000/3500 at 69 decibels, for 10 years. I would try to be courteous when I ran that noise maker. Now that I have a Predator 3500, at 57 decibels, I don't mind turning this on. Incredible difference between the two. I did a comparison, in the garage for my wife, and we could have a nice conversation with the Predator. I have over 50 hours on it and love this unit.

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
justme wrote:
For the money one can't beat the various China brands for cost performance.

I personally find this to be 100% true but it will rub a lot of people the wrong way (the EU crowd).
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
there are many utube videos demonstrating noise of inverter generators that I found interesting. turns out the Champion 3kw is as quiet or quieter than a Honda 3kw where the 2kw generators are good but Honda is slightly quieter. For the money one can't beat the various China brands for cost performance. I suspect most of the china brands come from the same mfg, but packaged differently. The only issue I can see is they are not American designed or mfg which could be important if you are political. The Honda and Yamaha engines are sleeved where the other are not.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a Honda 3000i Handy that wasn't strong enough for my 15k AC. Got a Champion 3400 and I've been impressed so far, and it was very inexpensive, too.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
the remote start models, have a electrically controlled choke. the button on the unit just activates the solenoid, as does the remote start.

Good to know!!! Thanks!!!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Champion hands down even if Honda was on the table. Absolutely love ours and the best customer service around!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

judelaurenzo25g
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Predator 2000 from harbor freight just over a year ago. I've put about 150hours on it and I am very impressed. I've owned honda's EU1000, 2000 and 3000 all good generators and I tell you the predator can hold it's own. Only time will tell how it holds up but I'm very happy with it.
A ship in harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Ltrip wrote:
DiskDoctr wrote:
I have a Champion. Go for the remote start/stop. I think it was extra $40 for the option, but who wants to go out just before bed and turn the genny off? Cold am to make coffee, charge batteries, run microwave, whatever (late mornings, after campground is well-awake).

We run long heavy extension to put the genny about 25ft from our camper and others. DISTANCE makes the quietest generator ๐Ÿ˜‰

Good luck with your choice!

DiskDoctr, Question about using the remote start. Sounds awesome, but....
There is a choke knob. My experience with any motor with a choke, is that you generally need to use it! So, your description of starting the generator on a cold morning from the warmth of your trailer.....Really? No need to choke it? Gas or propane?
I am not being argumentative, just looking for real world use experience.
Cheers,

Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
MFL My point was that no matter what you have, someone will object to it. I used the Harley example because I had a friend that rode one, and his was loud, be it modified or not, But he would complain about the noise when at my place for a BBQ or whatever because of the kids out back cutting up on Dirtbikes. (I had 30 acres behind the house with trails for them.)

There are some on here that seem to feel their Genny is a Stradivarius, and any other brand is a 747 taking off.
To somebody, they all make noise. The best you can do is get something as quiet as you feel you can afford, and then use it in whatever manner best minimizes its nuisance factor.

Yes that is a good point, and the Harley friend a good example! Our World is full of noise pollution, and people pick and choose what they will tolerate. Being a motorcyclist my whole life, I just had to offer my .02, about the myth of some motorcycles having to be noisy. Good on you, for giving your kids a place to ride and enjoy their dirt bikes.

Jerry