cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

powerhouse 2000wi gen

thoms
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any exp with a powerhouse gen. local store has one they are closing outfor around 400.oo a 2000 w unit. thinging of picking it up for tt. read some good and bad reviews on it. I know it`s not a Honda but we don`t do a lot of boondocking, just keeping batts charged and maybe weekends with no power. anybody have any input
on this unit
thanks to all
9 REPLIES 9

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Powerhouse PH2100PRi. It generates, if the engine starts. Eventually mine got very hard to start after a year. I dug into it myself, and the carburetor had what looked like particles of aluminum in the float bowl and in the emulsion tube, almost like stuff left over from when it was machined. Go figure, it has a fuel filter to keep stuff from getting into the carburetor, but does nothing for what's already there. The cheap paper gaskets tore when I unbolted the carburetor. Once I made new gaskets and cleaned the crud out of it, it's working much better now.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Some of us have been badly burnt by off brand gennies. In my case to the tune of nearly $2000.00. One caught on fire, and one would start--sometimes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
I wish the previous poster would stay away from junk opinions.

I own the Powerhouse 2700, and IMO it is the best-designed of any of the 3000-class generators. I have run it regularly for the past year or so. It continues to start right up and stream 2600 inverted watts as long as I wish.

FWIW I also own the Champion non-inverter gennie that was recommended, and it is a MUCH bulkier and heavier choice than the Powerhouse 2000. Champion is the best-of-breed for reliability and customer service, and they do offer a 2000-class inverter gennie, although it streams 1600w versus 1900 for the Powerhouse, IIRC.

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

You can always use it as a "Boat Anchor" if and when it does fail. There are better choice our there for not much more. Please stay away from the Junk Generators.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from General RVing
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a powerhouse 2100 for about 4 years. I haven't had to have mine repaired but I know you can get parts and service all over the US.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Since all you want is battery charging, go solar. One time cost. About $2.00 per watt on a DIY.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of no-name Chinese generator makers. They tend to work OK... until you need parts for them, and then you are then SOL since models and parts change so often.

As an alternative, Champion isn't that much more, and even though the generators come from the same Chinese factory, Champion is superb at having parts and service for what they sell. New carb? They can get it for you.

If having to go inexpensive, the open-framed Champion 3500-4000 is loud, but will produce decent power. CPE also has a 3000 watt inverter for a couple C-notes more which is a lot quieter.

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
Most all are chinese made, look around for a Champion brand at Lowes, home depot, sams, etc; usually can dind a 3500-4000 for $300.00
Powerhouse is a house brand for Fastenal if I remember correct.