cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with motorized Winegard 1000 Antenna

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
During an early morning rush to get to a dealer for warranty work, I forgot the antenna was up. I ordered the new top and two square pieces that make up the tower. All is well except it will not rotate when the rotate buttons are pushed. The antenna raises to an upright position but the red light does not come on signaling it is up. It also rotates about 245 degrees after becoming upright. It took the top off and everything looks ok. The troubleshooting guide says the antenna will not rotate if the antenna is not upright. I am wondering if something is telling the antenna it is not upright when it is. I called winegard and the folks on the phone just read trouble shooting item from a guide and have probably have not seen one. They no longer make this motorized version and have gone back to the hand crank. I would be grateful for any help. Thanks, David
10 REPLIES 10

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been tinkering with this antenna. Now, after it goes into the raised position, all three lights (raised, in motion, and lowered) blink off and on about three time and then go off. Try as I have, I am unable to find a trouble shooting manual or get any help from Winegard. Does anyone know why the three lights blink and go off?

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
tvfrfireman wrote:
Someone on the Escapee's forum told me to replace the top of the antenna with a Jack antenna that is supposedly Omni directional. If I find this is true, it is a fifty dollar fix. I thought I would share this with you folks. If anyone knows how to fix my rotating one, please let me know. Thanks.
The Jack antenna is NOT omnidirectional. It does have a broader pattern than the Winegard Batwing so it can be a little easier finding stations.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Someone on the Escapee's forum told me to replace the top of the antenna with a Jack antenna that is supposedly Omni directional. If I find this is true, it is a fifty dollar fix. I thought I would share this with you folks. If anyone knows how to fix my rotating one, please let me know. Thanks.

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
tvfrfireman wrote:
Looks like not many are familiar with this antenna with only one response. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks, David

10 years ago I worked on them but when they discontinued them and there are NO parts available, nobody works on them anymore. They are Boat Anchors when they malfunction, since no parts are available. That is why you are having a hard time finding help and info. Doug
If I have to replace it, the only one available is the manual crank up. I would need a step ladder to reach the area it is located in.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
tvfrfireman wrote:
Looks like not many are familiar with this antenna with only one response. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks, David

10 years ago I worked on them but when they discontinued them and there are NO parts available, nobody works on them anymore. They are Boat Anchors when they malfunction, since no parts are available. That is why you are having a hard time finding help and info. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
On backside on control panel are two connections......power cable connection and a control cable connection. Unplug them then plug back in and make sure connection is tight,

You may have damaged the cable connection inside the turret top when you whacked the antenna.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer

tvfrfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Does the 'stow' light come on when down?
Does the 'motion' light come on when raising/lowering etc.?

On backside on control panel are two connections......power cable connection and a control cable connection. Unplug them then plug back in and make sure connection is tight,

You may have damaged the cable connection inside the turret top when you whacked the antenna.
Thanks for writing. Yes the power light, stow light, in motion light work. Only the raised (red ) light doesn't work. When the antenna goes up, it turns and rotates about 245 degrees and ends up pointing perpendicular to the curb/door side. Then, when I try to operation the rotation feature I get nothing.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the 'stow' light come on when down?
Does the 'motion' light come on when raising/lowering etc.?

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31