cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No AC power in some bedroom outlets

petanqueur99
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2004 Jayco Legacy 5th wheel, I have had no power from two ac outlets for a few months, one from each side of the bed. Yesterday another outlet quit working. I measures 120 volts between the hot side (black) wire and ground. I measure about 80 volts and sometimes much less from the hot side and the neutral wire (white). Under the bed I have an electrical box which has some ac cables, the voltage is fine. One cable from this box goes to another metal box which I cannot reach unless I remove the mattress. There is also a round shape cable that feed the motor for the slide out, I presume. Plus there are some wires....

Any advice is welcome.

Tks
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use electric heat in this motor home as much as we can. I mean why pay for Propane? Well one of the outlets (Of the kind shown above) bothered my nose when we used it (Hot wire smell is often followed by a visit from boys wearing heavy waterproof coats and carrying big hoses hooked to a big Red or Yellow truck with flashing lights on it, and that is something I do not wish on my motor home).

So I installed a Heavy Duty (15/20 amp) outlet with heavy duty wire next to it, I finally got around to replacing the overheated outlet.. Turns out the wire is still good. it was the outlet that was getting too hot. Though there is evidence of hot insulation (just not as bad as I feared)

The outlets are wired kind of like this.

{Breaker box}===={Outlet 1}===={Outlet 2}===={Outlet 3}====={Outlet 4}

(note two wires from between each item, There is also the safety ground)

If one of the lower number outlets develops a bad connection.. What you see is what you get. Also there is the connection between the neutral wire (White) and the bus in the breaker box

I found many loose screws in my breaker box
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
These types of low profile RV receptacles are well known for breaking the wiring feeding additional receptacles down the line. The pinch connection will cut through the wire insulation covering and put a crease mark on the solid wire and if it gets bent or moved may break open on you.

The downside is the fix as there is never enough wiring to work with to fix the problem... You almost have to install an PVC electrical junction box and add new cables to get more length of wiring to work with.

Having said this I have two 120VAC RV Receptacles down the line from my bedroom wash-up lavatory in my fifth wheel which has a GFCI reset button on it. A hair blower has tripped this on us a couple of times killing the two down-line 120VAC receptacles near the bed tables.

Look for the RESET BUTTOns

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Check the connection on your power cord where it attaches to the trailer. From the weight of the cord pulling down on the connection it had pulled one side of the wires loose inside the plug. It was doing the same thing yours is with no power to the bedroom/bath area or dim lights from low power. If you have one of the plugs that goes into the trailer at 90 degrees you can get a 90 degree adapter that will that relieve the stress on the plug.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Start pulling outlets and checking connections. If they are wired from one to the other just one bad connection can knock out a string of outlets. There are several types of outlets out there. Some are "designed" to operate as a junction box where basically you just jamb a wire down between two pieces of metal. The metal cuts the insulation in that spot and the wire continues on to the next outlet. These will have a plastic cover over the back that snaps on and off. Others may have small holes in the back that you insert the stripped end of the wire into. These should be mounted in a junction box. Sometimes the wire becomes loose in these type as well.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find it now. A bad connection can get hot and possibly cause a fire. If you have the type of outlets that don't require a box, then the wires are pushed into a IDC slot for connection. Pull the outlets out and check those connections. Also, I've seen connectors that are inline, used for connecting slideouts, actually burn up.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that there is a GFI tripped. SOME of them are hidden like the one for the microwave, fridge etc.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I presume there are no GFCIs involved. If the outlets are in a slide, check the wires entering the slide.

I would follow the wiring, checking for loose connections, corroded connections, broken wires, etc.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
did you reset the gfi in the bathroom or kitchen, if there pk start tracing the low voltage wire back wards ,could just be a loose wire nut.