cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Dynamics knockoffs

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new converter off of Amazon and after I get it home I find out that it doesn't have a serial number on it. According to Progressive Dynamics it's some sort of a knockoff product and they won't warranty it. They tell me it's illegal for Amazon and this third party vendor to be selling these.
So back it goes tomorrow.....already had it installed....Maybe this has been addressed on this forum I don't know.
14 REPLIES 14

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bestconverter.com is a popular and respected vendor of converters and other electrical products. From their website: We have been notified by Progressive Dynamics, Inc. that many PDI converter products are being sold by unauthorized dealers on Amazon and auction type sites without serial numbers and not packaged in the correct boxes.

We recently bought a PD converter from bestconverter because of their excellent reputation and that we'd get a full factory warranty. Buying electronics from Amazon or ebay can be a bad idea (esp. on warranty). Ebay is riddled with knockoff products and it's easy to get taken if not careful. I bought a new 30 amp power inlet from ebay and the listing said it was a "replacement for a Conntek inlet" but as it turned out this didn't mean this item was a Conntek product. :M Ebay doesn't give a care...

I hope the OP is able to get a refund.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can find fake most anyhting. Even medications you can buy fake drugs, the tablet looks just like the real thing, tastes just like the real thing, has no medical benefit and you die as a result.

That's how bad it is.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
Did you buy directly from Amazon or an Amazon vendor?
If an Amazon vendor call Amazon and let them know. Amazon will give them the boot quickly.

Correct, they will ban that vendor from ever selling on Amazon again! Had the same problem once and poof, they were gone!

Until the vendor changes their name and is back again. But we all have to try and make sure we don't support these crooks.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
If an Amazon vendor call Amazon and let them know. Amazon will give them the boot quickly.

That is the problem, Amazon will not give them the boot because they don't care if you get screwed. Got bit too awhile back and now only use Bestconverter for our fleet because I know they are the real deal, real people and you can talk to them. I was on here about 15 years ago when I first learned of Best converter and should have stuck with them. Actually I kinda did, just forgot when we changed needs for awhile. Ray or Randy (I think is his name) is accessible, rare in this day and age.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
from the PD website etc. it's not clear that they are knockoffs, as much as they are not being sold by an authorized distributor and maybe are grey market, or purchased from a dist at and being sold by non authorized dist so they remove the SN and/or put them in a different box.

SN is likely being removed to prevent it from being traced backwards. Likely the SN was removed by not the final seller, but by someone that was unloading them to a third party and doesn't want to get caught.

Non the less, send it back and notify amazon.

Sounds a lot like typical grey market item where a legit item gets picked up in some kind of fire sale, inventory reduction, bankruptcy then gets unloaded by a non authorized dealer. Pretty common with clothes, jewerly, watches etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
Bought mine from tweety's good price.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:

Correct, they will ban that vendor from ever selling on Amazon again! Had the same problem once and poof, they were gone!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
There are fakes for pretty much everything, ran into some fake grade 8 bolts.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.bestconverter.com/Progressive-Dynamics-Inteli-Power-Converters_c_81.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of knockoffs being sold by online vendors. ๐Ÿ˜ž I wanted to replace the LCI tongue jack on my Coachmen with an Ultrafab, a model I had previously owned ... looking on Amazon and eBay I almost got sucked into buying any one of a number of knockoffs that looked identical but on closer inspection were not Ultrafab. :M I passed and ordered an authentic Ultrafab through my dealer ... more costly, but it's not a knockoff. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well Amazon will take it back anyway.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I thought imitation was the sincerest form of flattery? :B

Was the converter advertised on Amazon as a PD?

Yes it looks like an identical product...Label and all but no serial number tag.
So PD says it's not legit and no warranty.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I thought imitation was the sincerest form of flattery? :B

Was the converter advertised on Amazon as a PD?