cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Refill Station Map

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
So there's a great website where you can find non-ethanol filling stations. But I haven't been able to find anything similar regarding LPG filling stations.

My town has several gas stations with propane filling, but if I were to ever need it while on the road, it would be nice to have it come up on some sort of search. After all... there are websites to show which Wal-Marts allow camping. Why not this? Or does such a thing exist and I just haven't been able to find it?

*EDIT*
I neglected to mention that I have already searched the internets far and wide with no luck. A few sites have a map feature, but have either none or very few of the actual locations listed in my area. I'm looking for some reasonable degree of accuracy.
Cheers,
Kendall
22 REPLIES 22

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey tatest,

Nice post!

And yeah... the bottle exchange costs almost twice as much in my area. It's amazing what some will pay for convenience. And it's not THAT much more convenient. It might save you 5 minutes, but costs like 10 bucks. That's $120 an hour! At 40 hours a week, that's almost a quarter million in a 50 week year. I know some folks make that kind of cash and more, but about 99% of us don't.
Cheers,
Kendall

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Problem is, putting together the information is a lot of work, and then you have to start putting qualifications into the list: always attended, can fit what size vehicle, towing what else, can I get to it without backing up, etc.

There are 2500-3500 filling stations set up to sell LPG as a motor fuel, and there are associations that work to maintain those lists. There are probably 5,000-10,000 full service LPG dealers, but not all of those operate retail filling stations, though many could handle a RV at one of their storage sites and might take care of you by appointment. But most stay busy carrying LPG to their permanent customers, many of which are retail operators.

Ah, retail operators: U-Hauls (and other rental operators), RV dealerships, hardware stores, gas stations (many in the ""filling station" lists), farm and ranch supply, feed stores, RV parks, places with a small tank and a metered pump. Possibly another 10,000 or more, some can reach a vehicle but may not be big rig pull through, some only fill bottles, though that business is quickly being smothered by the ubiquitous exchange bottle outlets.

When traveling, I tend to refill at campgrounds, when LPG is available and before the need is urgent, though price may not be the same as a wholesaler, it doesn't bother them to make the sale if I'm staying there and on the way in or out. At dealers and distributors, often have to get a delivery person called to the office to pump, and in many cases the location is either back in or back out.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
I've been working on a tally propane filling/gas stations for my town of about 35,000.

Out of the 14 that I was able to get a hold of on the phone or drove by personally...

9 sold propane
and
5 did not

These did not include RV shops. These are just gas stations that also fill propane.

I may be missing some, but I do know of 4 more stations in town that I was not able to get a hold of or drive by as of yet.

So it appears that Southern Oregon may be in the upper echelon of propane filling station areas.
Cheers,
Kendall

isa
Explorer
Explorer
Most Camping World stores now sell propane.

In the Pacific North West they offer a very good discount on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, $1.99/gal.

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
The only easy site that I found was the Flying J site which list stations that have propane and prices. U hauls are my next choice but a phone call is needed to see if the can accommodate MH's and a price quote. The cheapest but most difficult to use is the Tractor Supply Stores. Some sell propane but can't accommodate MH's two web site searches and a phone call is required.

Yeah, but around here, and plenty of other places, (I gather from some of the replies on this thread,)... there are many gas stations that can fill MHs, etc. Many more phone calls required.
Cheers,
Kendall

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only easy site that I found was the Flying J site which list stations that have propane and prices. U hauls are my next choice but a phone call is needed to see if the can accommodate MH's and a price quote. The cheapest but most difficult to use is the Tractor Supply Stores. Some sell propane but can't accommodate MH's two web site searches and a phone call is required.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've even asked store clerks and many of them don't know where propane is sold.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KendallP
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
try this one

Been there. It sucked. But thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

It showed 45 in the whole of the state of Oregon. There are that many in Southern Oregon alone. I'm guessing up north in Eugene, Salem and Portland there are a few more.
Cheers,
Kendall

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Pilot /Flying J if you are on the interstate, has a few stations with Propane.

http://www.pilotflyingj.com/fuel-prices?per_page=0&filters=

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Mapquest used to have an alternate fuels function--but it is "no more".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree..there is no reliable propane info..
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
try this one

wgander
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has been that many gas stations keep the LP gas tank in a location I can't get to with my motor home.
I've stopped trying to get a refill anywhere other than a camp site.
Most sites have the LP Gas tank close to the entrance/exit, easy to get to, and there's always an easy way to turn around if the tank is on the wrong side of the motor home when you first pull up.
2000 Four Winds Five Thousand 28A (1999 Chevy 3500), Master Tow Dolly, 2012 Scion xB TOAD

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have never had a problem finding propane. Stop in any little town and ask someone. There is usually a filling station, hardware, campground or home supply company around that can all fill the onboard propane tanks. If not, they can tell you where to go in the next town to get some.