cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Putting on TST tire monitors

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Well got my TST tire monitors programmed (I think). It wasen't too bad. It was nice to do it on my kitche table bfor the installation. Will put them on this afternoon and see how they work.

Just a comment on my activities.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad
26 REPLIES 26

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
peirek wrote:
Two years and no issues. I did install metal valve stems and installed the sensors before balancing the tires.

X2, make sure you go with metal valve stems. When I first bought mine, TST said you "can" use them on rubber stems if you want. But I found they wobble enough to eventually crack the valve stem due to the rotational forces going down the road. I took my new trailer down to Americas Tire and had the metal stems installed and the tires/wheels balanced at the same time.

x2 on the metal stems, even if not running sensors. I run metal stems on all of my vehicles and trailers.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
Spoke with Mike at TST today. He recommended I try using a repeater... he was pretty confident the drop outs are due to range limitations.

We have 36' 5th wheel... apparently that's pushing it range wise.

I have a 26' TT and need a repeater. I think it has more to do with the construction of the trailer and the bed cap, blocking the signal. Be sure that you get the correct repeater, TST has two different types.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke with Mike at TST today. He recommended I try using a repeater... he was pretty confident the drop outs are due to range limitations.

We have 36' 5th wheel... apparently that's pushing it range wise.

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
What model of TST sensor is everyone going with these days? I like the idea of the flow through ones for simplicity. However, I wonder if they work well with a dually. There might be a clearance problem on my truck.

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
sidney wrote:
peirek wrote:
sidney wrote:
Has any else found that you need to be very careful not to over tighten the sensors? Mine seems to be very sensitive... I've had 2 sensors stop working after towing for a long while as the temperatures increased. I pulled over and loosened the sensor a bit... started driving again and the sensor came back online after about 15 minutes.

Which system are you using? I have not noticed this issue with the TST.

I have a TST 507 system... without the flow thru sensors.

I'm towing a 36' 5er... could it be an intermittent range problem?

How long since the batteries were replaced? I'm guessing the batteries are on the way out.

This was happening when the batteries were less than 6 months old.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:
peirek wrote:
sidney wrote:
Has any else found that you need to be very careful not to over tighten the sensors? Mine seems to be very sensitive... I've had 2 sensors stop working after towing for a long while as the temperatures increased. I pulled over and loosened the sensor a bit... started driving again and the sensor came back online after about 15 minutes.

How long since the batteries were replaced? I'm guessing the batteries are on the way out.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
peirek wrote:
Two years and no issues. I did install metal valve stems and installed the sensors before balancing the tires.

X2, make sure you go with metal valve stems. When I first bought mine, TST said you "can" use them on rubber stems if you want. But I found they wobble enough to eventually crack the valve stem due to the rotational forces going down the road. I took my new trailer down to Americas Tire and had the metal stems installed and the tires/wheels balanced at the same time.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

sidney
Explorer
Explorer
peirek wrote:
sidney wrote:

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
sidney wrote:

Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

sidney
Explorer
Explorer

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
During my trip to Florida I set my tire pressure on 90 psi. Driving in 50 degree weather the tire pressure rose to 100 psi or so.

I wish the read out was bright instead of the gray read outs. They are hard to see in the daylight. Otherwise the units worked great.

It takes about 5 minutes for all 6 tires to begin to register on the monitor.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Test run was to florida. Worked great. One comment the monitor is difficult
To read in the day time.
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

texasreb
Explorer
Explorer
I had to install a repeater for my TST 507 system. I have a 40' coach with a CRV tow. The system worked 95+% of the time but the occasional dropped signal from the tow was disconcerting.
Bob & Elinor
1998 40' SSDP CC Magna 330 Detroit Diesel
2005 Honda CRV

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
Paul & Lisa
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS