cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question regarding satellite signal through coax outlet

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, got our first travel trailer a few months back. 29 ft Cruiser Crossroad and we love it. Decided to get a king tailgater portable satellite to run when we are on the road. The dish won't be mounted so we will have to setup each stop. Now, my question is, what is the difference in the coax inputs on the outside of the trailer. I have one for satellite and one for cable towards the rear of the rig. I also have another input towards the center on one side, and one of the side with the door. My instincts tell me the satellite input is the one to use but what are all the others for? I also was warned that sometimes the signal from the satellite won't go through if there is a splitter or relay in the trailer. Any experience with this? Thanks for the help in advance.

--Rex
34 REPLIES 34

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
I thought you stated you just purchased this unit? On the other thread you stated 2006. Soooo, my comments were for 2010 to current Crossroads. That is why I wanted that pic, as it showed something I have never seen on a CR. So, my previous advice is null and void. The odds are you will have to pull the TV antenna booster and do a rewire. Post a Pic of the outside inputs when you go back to the deer lease. Doug

Hey Doug, first of all, sorry I missed this post and second sorry for any confusion. We did just purchase it, but it is a 2006 model. I don't have a pic of the outside inputs but they are on the rear of the trailer and labeled sat and cable. I decided on some creativity this weekend and after trying both outside inputs with the white cable I got nothing. I pulled the other output with the DC connection and green led. There were 3 coax inputs going into the back of that outlet along with the power for the DC. I got lucky when I pulled the middle coax and plugged it directly into the satellite receiver. I plugged the dish into the "cable" connection on the rear of the trailer and that succeeded in getting us setup. I need to clean up and rewire inside but that will be a minor job. Thanks for all the info.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I thought you stated you just purchased this unit? On the other thread you stated 2006. Soooo, my comments were for 2010 to current Crossroads. That is why I wanted that pic, as it showed something I have never seen on a CR. So, my previous advice is null and void. The odds are you will have to pull the TV antenna booster and do a rewire. Post a Pic of the outside inputs when you go back to the deer lease. Doug

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
If you are hooking to the jack next to the green light, you will get no signal

you have to pull the plate, on teh back should be 3 coax cables, the one in the middle, disconnect it, extend it to the receiver using a double female connector and some more cable, and see if that works.

or better yet, run nice new clean RG-6 to the outside from the receiver.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
rexmitchell wrote:
Ok, got nothing through that cable.....Kept saying no signal.

Try using the outside cable input. They may have mislabeled the 2 outside inputs. If I was working on it, I would connect the receiver inside and then check for the 13/18 volt dc pulsed signal at the outside coax inputs. Doug

Thanks, I'll try switching up the outlets next trip out to the deer camp.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are hooking to the jack next to the green light, you will get no signal

you have to pull the plate, on teh back should be 3 coax cables, the one in the middle, disconnect it, extend it to the receiver using a double female connector and some more cable, and see if that works.

or better yet, run nice new clean RG-6 to the outside from the receiver.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
rexmitchell wrote:

Try using the outside cable input. They may have mislabeled the 2 outside inputs. If I was working on it, I would connect the receiver inside and then check for the 13/18 volt dc pulsed signal at the outside coax inputs. Doug

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Doug you are correct, that cable coming out has a coax on the end, so that should be my satellite. Thanks for the info Doug!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, the FIRST pic. Where does that Beige coax go or is it just a lead with and end on it. This is the reason I asked for a pic. This is something BRAND new to Cruiser and I have never seen this before. IF that Beige cable has a coax end on it, that goes to the back of the Sat receiver to the Dish IN coax input. The outside Sat input is where you connect the outside Dish/Dome. Doug

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
rexmitchell wrote:
Harvard, excuse my ignorance, what is the pedestal cable? The top one? Really, I just need to figure out what I need to connect inside to get the sat signal from the dedicated sat input outside.

When parked in an RV park, the park sometimes provides cable TV (CATV) at the "pedestal". The pedestal is where the shore power is provided for the pad.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard, excuse my ignorance, what is the pedestal cable? The top one? Really, I just need to figure out what I need to connect inside to get the sat signal from the dedicated sat input outside.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
From the picture:

When the green light is ON the RV antenna preamp is powered up and the signal available at the coax connector is from the preamp.

When the green light is OFF the signal available at the coax connector is from the pedestal cable connection IF the RV is connected to the pedestal.

The satellite antenna is not available through this outlet.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Alright Doug, first picture is the wire that is coming out of the wall that I was describing, this is on top where the TV would sit.

This next shot is the outlet below that has the DC connection and a button w/ an LED light. (I was thinking this was the antenna/cable).