cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Received new vehicle with nail implanted in tire-maybe.

boston_blacky
Explorer
Explorer
Picture this. Today my dealership switched the veh. tires to winter tires which go into their storage area until sping 2021. This is a new car less the 2 months old. It came from the GTA (Toronto) area and already had approx.700 km. on it before I took possesion. We live
just outside Ottawa, Canada.

The tire guy noted a nail in one tire and said no plug would work as a good fix. My new car now has only 2888 km. and my position is -about 1/3 of that was there already before I received it. So, was the nail there already and should I just shut up and have that bad tire replaced at my costs. All comments and are welcome.
BB
BOSTON BLK
22 REPLIES 22

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
This guy that told you that a nail in a tire couldn't be fixed with a plug, is full of it, unless the hole is in the side wall as stated earlier.
He's trying to sell you a tire unnecessarily, he probably sidelines as an RV salesman.
No special effort to plug a nail hole, any 16 year old with a plug kit is capable of plugging a tire.
Also if you have a bolt rather than a nail, it may be another story.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No telling when nail attacked the tire ... could have been on your way to dealer

Have an Internal Patch repair done

Unless nail is in outer/sidewall area...then replace

Didn't NEW tires come with road hazard coverage/warranty??

USA tires stopped Road Hazard warranty 7/01/1977. How do I know this? I purchased a NEW 1977 Trans am. delivery date--7/07/1977. In August I hit the remnants of a screwdriver on the hiway and blew out the Uniroyal RR tire. Took it to the Pontiac dealer that was also Uniroyal dealer. They came out and showed me the object in the destroyed tire and when I stated it should be under Road Hazard, he showed me the updated memo's from the Tire makers showing the above date they stopped Road Hazard on new tires. That is why Tire retailers sell Road Hazard warranty's. The correct repair if the nail is on the flat side of the tread is to remove the rubber, install a plug and then install a patch on the inside of the tire over the plug. Anywhere else, replace the rubber. Doug

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
No telling when nail attacked the tire ... could have been on your way to dealer

Like Old Biscuit said Just go get the tire fixed properly
Tires are fixed every day.
If in the face fix it
If in sidewall replace it
Things happen.
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Swap out the fixed tire with the plug for the spare, assuming you have a full size one. Just happened to me also, nail in the brand new truck tire. Not much you can do.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
New car is defect only through the tire manufacturer only unless you give in to the finance guy trying to upsell along with the rest during purchase. Road hazard is not a defect.

Yes many tire stores give free flat repairs, if repairable, on the tires they sell. Unrepairable tire is still your cost unless again you option for the additional warranty.

Used car is probably sold "as is" with the factory warranty. Same goes for a scratch in the paint you notice later that day after the purchase.

Otherwise you need to negotiate a settlement with the seller.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
So, you have never driven said vehicle yet? You bought it, and now they are switching to snow tires and found a nail in one of the summer tires?
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless your detective skills can prove otherwise, youโ€™ll be buying a new tire IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad