cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recharging house batteries

countrykids
Explorer
Explorer
When leaving a campground with partially drawn down house batteries, the engines alternator will slowly recharge them.

Can I charge those batteries faster by starting the in house generator at the same time charging from two sources?
2004 Born Free class c
23 REPLIES 23

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It REALLY depends on how long you drive. If over 4 hours the Chassis alternator WILL fully charge the Coach batteries. Doug

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
However, a DC to DC boost device added between the alternator and the house batteries may be just as fast.

Concur ! Modern vehicle charging systems reduce the alternator voltage to about 13.2V shortly after the engine starts. This will never fully recharge a house battery bank. You need a DC-DC charger.

pianotuna wrote:
I added a 2nd charging path using #8 wire--and I have manual control of the charging solenoids.

Re-read the above.

Yes larger gauge wires helps, but you will never be able to get a house battery bank back to 100% SOC on 13.2V !

When I put in the 2nd charging path I had identical batteries for house and starter (marine cycle). I did see over 70 amps of charging.

Also, at that time, getting a dc to DC charging device was pretty much unheard of.

Now that I have AGM telco house bank and an AGM starter, my solar sends energy to the engine--so I get almost no alternator charging.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good question and was surprised reading you could....then read on, and you can't.....but doesn't diminish from it being an interesting question.....
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
However, a DC to DC boost device added between the alternator and the house batteries may be just as fast.

Concur ! Modern vehicle charging systems reduce the alternator voltage to about 13.2V shortly after the engine starts. This will never fully recharge a house battery bank. You need a DC-DC charger.

pianotuna wrote:
I added a 2nd charging path using #8 wire--and I have manual control of the charging solenoids.

Re-read the above.

Yes larger gauge wires helps, but you will never be able to get a house battery bank back to 100% SOC on 13.2V !

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
No. depending on converter output and alternator output.
My 140 amp alternator will charge much faster than my PD 45 amp converter.
And 2 different charging sources will usually fight each other. The one w/ the highest voltage will do most all the charging
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes.

However, a dc to DC boost device added between the alternator and the house batteries may be just as fast.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may want to check your converter to see what kind of output it is. It may even pay to replace with a higher output.
Genset through the converter will give more charge combined with alternator.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
what he said. ^^^^
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle