cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator in slide out

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone with the refrigerator in the slide out used a window awning to protect that part of the slide out from the sun? If so how successful is it to do so?
14 REPLIES 14

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ka0dqz wrote:
Hey Old Biscuit,

That wasn't the only problem I found. According to Dometic they want from the top of the fridge to the top of the cavity it sits in blocked off too.

Well Forest River, Wildwood whoever one wants to blame apparently are not able to read and follow Dometic's instructions. It would be interesting to know how much mfg's have spent on warranty problems that were self created.

Dometic, Norcold, Atwood......ALL have installation instructions for their various models with clearances noted and ventilation kits where needed :ie installs in slideouts, dead air spaces, baffling etc.

Yet time after time RV mfg.s DON'T bother (assembly line/piece mill work) and that has a lot to do with fridge cooling issues
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Old Biscuit,

That wasn't the only problem I found. According to Dometic they want from the top of the fridge to the top of the cavity it sits in blocked off too.

Well Forest River, Wildwood whoever one wants to blame apparently are not able to read and follow Dometic's instructions. It would be interesting to know how much mfg's have spent on warranty problems that were self created.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ka0dqz wrote:
I did not block off the top exhaust vent. It came from the manufacturer with all but 1 of the 3 vents blocked off. I opened up the exhaust port.

Others may wish to check and see if the same engineer designed theirs.

This may be causing someone else's problems too.

Typical........
RV mfg. disregarding appliance mfgs. recommended installation instructions.

Fridge installed in a slideout and blocking off top vent openings :S

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That shade is a great idea. I could latch one over the topper and bungee cord it to the bottom of the slide - all from the ground. Use wing nuts on the bolts for easy disassemble and transport.

But I try to avoid places like Yuma in the summer. :B As I sit in Phoenix for another week. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
A shade similar to a RV window awning to help shade the refer is seen quite frequently in Yuma, AZ. during snowbird time.

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
I did not block off the top exhaust vent. It came from the manufacturer with all but 1 of the 3 vents blocked off. I opened up the exhaust port.

Others may wish to check and see if the same engineer designed theirs.

This may be causing someone else's problems too.

cmoecmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
I am curious like the Biscuit. Why add fans and block vent area?

I read it to say that he fixed the blockage in the 2 sections of the vent.

Craig
Craig & Annette
2015 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax
2014 300x12 XLR Toy Hauler
2008 Harley Ultra Classic

RL_Miller
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen this setup in Arizona. Very inexpensive
Poorloser

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am curious like the Biscuit. Why add fans and block vent area?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ka0dqz wrote:
I have installed 3 fans on the backside of the fridge and put in a baffle to force the incoming air to go through the coils.

The top (exhaust vent) was blocked off except for 1 of the 3 vent slots.

I'm thinking the top of a window awning would go below the exhaust vent and provide shade for that portion of the slide wall and the intake vent.

Carefree has XL window awnings for windows over 36" tall and it would only need to be 30" wide.

WHY do you have the top vent blocked off.......that restricts the draft and traps hot air which is what you want to remove :H

ka0dqz
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed 3 fans on the backside of the fridge and put in a baffle to force the incoming air to go through the coils.

The top (exhaust vent) was blocked off except for 1 of the 3 vent slots.

I'm thinking the top of a window awning would go below the exhaust vent and provide shade for that portion of the slide wall and the intake vent.

Carefree has XL window awnings for windows over 36" tall and it would only need to be 30" wide.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might also restrict air flow. If I was going to consider a awning I'd make a cardboard mockup and do some testing. And it would be one big awning. The wall space behind my refer is 4' more vertical space than the windows.

Maybe throw up a portable canopy on the few days when needed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anytime you can get shade on side of RV where fridge is helps....cooler air from the shade.

Adding fans to outside compartment (if not already installed) will greatly help the cooling process due to fridge being in a slide out. Lack of roof vent limits draft effect so fans help.

Any fridge in a slideout should have fans...........not all rv mfg. install them as per fridge mfg. recommendations/instructions.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, but it may help.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman