cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing Silicone caulk

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas on how to remove and apply something different? We now have a truck camper and a 21RBS livin lite tt. The tt has a leak and somebody did a crappy job of trying to seal it. I guess we should be glad it has no wood to rot but would love to get rid of the silicone and from what I've read silicone won't even stick to itself, hence our leak. thanks....
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.
12 REPLIES 12

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover a plastic scraper and lots of paper towel.

I am guessing it's good stuff as it has 5 star rating.

3M 08984 General Purpose Adhesive Remover & Cleaner, Quart, 6-Pack
5.0 out of 5 stars
$109.98.....6 pack quarts or $21.95 for one quart.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

map40
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Acetone

Will acetone take off the paint? It's painted aluminum.

Depends on the paint. It won't affect automotive paint, but it will strip automotive repair paint (go figure)
Alfa SeeYa
Life rocks when your home rolls

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Silicone is very difficult to remove. It must be carefully scraped off using a tool that will not damage the surface below. I have found small plastic scrapers in kitchen stores that work not too bad.

But even after mechanically removing as much as possible, there is still the residue left behind and a small amount of the silicone.

Only after physically removing as much as you can use a product such as Chris above mentioned.

Do not use acetone! It will damage all surfaces and take the paint off. Acetone is ok only to make a final pass with a well wetted rag of it, and only to take off any final residue of oil, dirt etc. Do not rub or scrub with acetone. A quick wet wipe, and then let it evaporate. And acetone will not dissolve silicone. Silicone is uncured rubber. Once cured there is not much that will break it down.

Silicone has its place, but NOT in the exterior sealing of an RV! Why people insist on promoting the use of this crud baffles me.

In 45 years of the solarium / glazing / renovation business I have earned a serious heap of money tearing down and replacing rotten sunrooms that were sealed with silicone.

Well said, Sillycon is not only the wrong product it is the worst product that can be put on an RV. Tried several of the magic elixers for silicone removal,, if they
work it is not silicone.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
lap527 wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Acetone

Sure will, years ago I was cleaning the roof with acetone and didn't notice some ran down the wall, took the paint off immediately.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
People continue to use it, because when they go to a store to get a sealer, the silicones are pushed on them by ads or salespeople as the best thing to use, and no one knows any better. Even many RV dealers do it, because it is the cheaper and most available thing in their stock.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Silicone is very difficult to remove. It must be carefully scraped off using a tool that will not damage the surface below. I have found small plastic scrapers in kitchen stores that work not too bad.

But even after mechanically removing as much as possible, there is still the residue left behind and a small amount of the silicone.

Only after physically removing as much as you can use a product such as Chris above mentioned.

Do not use acetone! It will damage all surfaces and take the paint off. Acetone is ok only to make a final pass with a well wetted rag of it, and only to take off any final residue of oil, dirt etc. Do not rub or scrub with acetone. A quick wet wipe, and then let it evaporate. And acetone will not dissolve silicone. Silicone is uncured rubber. Once cured there is not much that will break it down.

Silicone has its place, but NOT in the exterior sealing of an RV! Why people insist on promoting the use of this crud baffles me.

In 45 years of the solarium / glazing / renovation business I have earned a serious heap of money tearing down and replacing rotten sunrooms that were sealed with silicone.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Chris_Bryant
Explorer II
Explorer II
3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover a plastic scraper and lots of paper towel.
-- Chris Bryant

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
Acetone

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Carefully scrape off the sealer then remove the residue with vinegar.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
:h If it won't even stick to itself, it looks like it would fall off. :W

i use it for a lot of applications, but not on things like the rubber roof.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Acetone
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Test them in a out-of-sight spot first. I found out that if you leave them on too long, they'll also take off the paint. I didn't find any of them that worked really well - lot of scraping with a sharp plastic putty knife worked the best.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.