cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repair leaky White Rodgers gas valve in Attwood water heater

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I know I will bring upon me the wrath of some safety conscious fellows, but I’d like to share my experience repairing the gas valve on my water heater. Try this at home – only if you are a handy fellow.

I'd like to share some photos but I don't want to put them on youtube or whatever.

Last November my brother-in-law noticed the smell of gas outside my camper. We traced it to a small leak at the gas orifice of the water heater. It would burn like a pilot light. I disconnected the line and capped it for a year.

The Attwood GC6AA-10E water heater from 2007 production uses White Rodgers gas valve Attwood P/N 93870, which is now superseded by Attwood P/N 93844. Maybe the replacement part number 93844 is a better design worth buying for $100. I don’t know. See Attwood Brochure.

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwood-Water-Heater-Service.pdf

The 93870 is single stage valve with redundant valves (two valves in series). The White Rodgers P/N is 25M19V-701 – 12 volt, RV applications, -40?-175? F, high sealing force, regulated LP, fixed regulator, encapsulated leads. See White Rodgers brochure.

http://www.emersonclimate.com/Documents/White-Rodgers/sell_sheets/r_4080.pdf

The valve comes apart with ease if you have a special T-15 Torx drive that has the open center. The screws on the unit have a pin that stands proud in the center of the Torx. So a standard Torx won’t do.

Remove the gas valve and cap off the gas line. Remove the orifice and protect from damage. Cap off the inlet/outlet of the valve and clean the outside with a wire brush. Remove the three types of screws holding the valve halves together – 3/8” nut, torx, philips. Remove the two solenoid coils. Carefully split the valve. Don’t bother with the regulator diaphragm but be careful not to get it dirty. Remove the solenoid shafts.

What I found was the valve seats were slightly corroded and the rubber plunger seals were not seating fully. A small layer of scale had built up on the rubber plungers. I scraped off the scale with my finger nail being careful not to damage that surface. Next seal off the gas port leading from the diaphragm with a small piece of masking tape. I then cut a small circle of 220 sandpaper and hot glued it onto a flat screw head. I gently scrubbed the valve seats where the rubber plungers mate. I would use a finer grit if you have it – maybe 400. I tipped the valve on its side and flushed out with rubbing alcohol. When I could see a shiny flat seat I rinsed again and gently blew out with air. Be careful to wash out the passageway between the two valves.

At this point I’d say it is good as new. But how did the corroding moisture get in? Looking at the outside of the valve, the casting is very corroded. I suspect that repeated dousing with hot water during winterizing of the tank may be damaging the valve. I applied a little sealant to the outside of the solenoid cylinders (the metal tubes that the coils fit over) where they pass through the valve body. Otherwise, maybe corrosion is inevitable due to contaminants in the LP.

After reassembly I tested it repeatedly. I only let the gas kick on for a second because there is no water in the tank. No leaks now, but I’ll keep a nose on it for a while to come.

Sincerely, CaptainLarry
17 REPLIES 17

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
I give the man a lot of credit for takeing the valve apart and repairing it>

I give him no credit what so ever these are non serviceable parts period..... The only thing replaceable is the coils on the valve. Tamper proof screws are there for a reason. This thread should be removed. It's one thing to put yourself in danger but then everyone around you could be affected.

If you start having delayed ignition from taking that apart your going to find out real quick should of bought a new one.

Don't pinch pennies as the person has buy a new valve period!!!
1997 Pursuit class A

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer
May I add something?

I had no intention of stirring up strife. And I was not criticizing anyone. My OP was in response to the lack of online info about this topic. All the contributors above have certainly changed that landscape and it’s all good.

But my criticism now after using my refurbished valve for a while is that no one suggested that I check my propane sniffer. Talk about ignorant, I had no idea these things needed to be replaced every 3 years. I will now spend the money ($80?) to buy a new CO / Propane sniffer because I know better than to repair the 7 year old one I have. Mechanics are one thing, chemistry and electronics are another.

Have you replaced your propane sniffer lately?

Larry

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
I give the man a lot of credit for takeing the valve apart and repairing it> I am sure he understands the apparent dangers and is willing to take the chance. Where would this country be without chance takers? How about the guy that invented the gas valve he took apart. Was he right the first time? why are there two valves (redundant)? was it because they found out one may not be safe enough? If you are smart enough to know your limitations then you do not do things like take apart gas valves. If you feel you can than do so. I for one would be the guy that takes it apart, determines that I can or can not fix it and proceed from there

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
JohnG3 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I'm OK with it. Most should not attempt a project like this, but it seems that he has a good grasp of what he is doing.. And it certainly is not in worse shape than it was before... Maybe it will fail again someday, due to the fix not being perfect... But then again, it probably wasn't perfect for quite awhile before it started leaking. And there are probably quite a few on RVs right now that are on their way to failing.
Everyone should probably run out and replace theirs NOW, as a precaution..:B

Certain subjects are really hot button issues.
People assume that just because something is beyond their abilities, that nobody is capable of it... Fact is we all have differing skill sets in life. The trick is to know just what yours are, and not underestimate or overestimate them.

Don't even get me started about the skills of RV technicians (a generous term)
Most are little more than part changers. Can't accurately diagnois or even properly install things.

X2

"Most are parts changers"? Very unfair statement.
As far as changing parts such as a gas valve, if one of my mechanics opted to repair a gas valve and not change it out, he would be looking for a new job.
There are some things that should be replaced and never repaired. It kills me when someone try's to save a few dollars with a safety related part and some of these repairs just may kill others as well.

6hoppy6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this CaptainLarry

As for the safety conscious out there. I do not hold CaptainLarry responsible for my actions. I do not recommend for anyone else to repair their valve. There is some potential for risk in servicing a gas valve yourself. If you attempt to repair your own gas valve you are assuming responsibility for your own actions.

I to had a leaking 25m19v valve and repaired mine after reading this I took it a few steps farther and disassembled my regulator too if you firmly pull on the center of the diaphragm the plunger will pull though the seat then the plunger will pull out of the diaphragm and the diaphragm will pull out of the metal disk assembly is opposite of disassembly it goes back together easier then is came apart

All the rubber parts looked and felt new so I went ahead and cleaned mine out with soap water, rubbing alcohol and a tooth brush and reassembled when it was totally clean and corrosion free

Mine too was full of corrosion but only in the valve section, the regulator half was corrosion free so that would leads me to believe the corrosion is caused by an external factor such as your suggestion of water getting in there when winterizing maybe though the outlet orifice, not the propane itself.

I also put a manual shut off valve inline with the solenoid valve so I can manually turn it off in case this repair dose not last but for now it is working correctly, I individually checked that the valves pickup and dropped out, there is no leaks from the valve half’s and no leak though the valve.

The valve was reassembled the way it was disassembled and all internals show no signs of age, ware, or damage other than some slight corrosion that is now clean.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RLS7201 wrote:
Way to go CaptainLarry. It's amazing how those less skilled will condemn you for being more clever than them. How would they know what is safe?

Richard

Because I have had extensive training and schooling by Industry and Gov. EXPERTS on the how's and why's of LP systems and components. As I stated, The OP can do what he wants, but it is NOT A SAFE THING TO DO. I would NEVER allow myself or my friends to use a LP component that had been "repaired" like the OP did. But, it is a free country and he is free to do what he did. I am happy that he DID state, it is not advisable to do what he did. As another stated, when you see a product that has TAMPERPROOF screws/bolts, there is a reason. It is NOT that others are less skilled, it is because others realize the DANGER of doing certain things. Doug

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I'm OK with it. Most should not attempt a project like this, but it seems that he has a good grasp of what he is doing.. And it certainly is not in worse shape than it was before... Maybe it will fail again someday, due to the fix not being perfect... But then again, it probably wasn't perfect for quite awhile before it started leaking. And there are probably quite a few on RVs right now that are on their way to failing.

People assume that just because something is beyond their abilities, that nobody is capable of it... Fact is we all have differing skill sets in life. The trick is to know just what yours are, and not underestimate or overestimate them.

Most are little more than part changers. Can't accurately diagnois or even properly install things.

X2
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Way to go CaptainLarry. It's amazing how those less skilled will condemn you for being more clever than them. How would they know what is safe?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think there is a reason WR used "tamper resistant" (center pin) screws?

A former co-worker used to design components for WR. They have been in several lawsuits so I am pretty sure they would be very sensitive to you working on the valve.

I think I could afford a new one myself.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Panfish007
Explorer
Explorer
After further review Yeah I'll buy new one Thanks Larry

CaptainLarry
Explorer
Explorer
OK, So as a reminder...You should never attempt what I did here.

But if you are curious about it I've included two pictures. (It took me a while to figure that one out. I have no online storage location. Hopefully this works.)

Larry

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
He can do what he wants. NO reputable Service Center or technician would EVER work on any LP gas valve. The liability is very high. From his post, he appears to be someone that has no real knowledge of the DANGERS associated with LP appliances and not following correct procedures. But, he can do what he wants. I would NEVER do it and would never allow a friend or family member to use such a repaired valve. Doug

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ka Ron wrote:
No valve manufacturer in the world has a user serviceable valve.
Not recommended at all. Replace the valve.

X2!

I would suggest the OP deletes the "how to" info and simply say that they TEMPORARILY "fixed" the valve but do not recommend others to "attempt" and buy a new valve.

Sometimes I am amazed at the lengths folks go to in order to save a few bucks..