cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace RV Refrigerator with Residental Model

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have replaced their fridge with a residental model, what model did you use and what was the approximate cost? The fridge I have is a NORCOLD 1200LRMD.

Thanks.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
HadEnough wrote:
What's a "smoke sniffer?"

Someone who dry camps and runs a generator. Cute, huh!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
What's a "smoke sniffer?"

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
For those who have replaced their fridge with a residental model, what model did you use and what was the approximate cost? The fridge I have is a NORCOLD 1200LRMD.

Thanks.

GM

We bought the Fisher & Paykel RF170BRPX6 (discontinued and replaced with similar model Fisher & Paykel RF170BRPX6N). The fact that it has recessed side-of-door handles made it instrumental for our choice so as to deconflict with the slide-out.

We rid ourselves of the continually problematic since brand new Norcold 1200 series. (I do not want to serve an appliance's needs; I want it to serve mine. I wanted no difference in performance than what we have in our residence.)

The F&P is exemplary; it is an inverter model and uses little electricity. We are not smoke sniffers so we always operate on full hook-ups. With two 24 group 12 volt RV/Marine batteries and a pure sine wave inverter our batteries are at 12.7 volts at the end of a 10 hour drive.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
2chiefsRus wrote:
RF18HFENBSR
33"-Wide, 18 cu. ft. Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator from Lowes - $1466 back in 2015. Installed ourselves with help from friends. Had to take new refrigerator apart to get through front door. Removed passenger seat to give us more room to get the fridge inside.

x2 We found it on sale at Lowes and got Vet discount on top of that. Love it.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
RF18HFENBSR
33"-Wide, 18 cu. ft. Counter Depth French Door Refrigerator from Lowes - $1466 back in 2015. Installed ourselves with help from friends. Had to take new refrigerator apart to get through front door. Removed passenger seat to give us more room to get the fridge inside.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
In my class A I had a household refrigerator. Basicly went from power pole to power with it. Had a large battery bank and generator so could boondock when I wanted.

Now have a small Toyota and do more boondocking than hookups. Been thinking a house fridge would be nice, but having the propane available works out very well.

I would say it depends on your use of the RV.

We never boondock. so an electricity-only fridge would work for us. We have had repeated problems with this unit.

GM

Then there is no reason to have a tripple power fridge. If you do move it here and there an inverter and house battery would be a must if you have it unhooked for more than a couple hours. A fridge will stay cold for a bit if there is no power to it. I freeze a small container of water and put a coin on top, if the coin ends up on the bottom I know it thawed.

Only my opinion and worth what you are paying for it.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
We have an icemaker and water with the current unit, but not used. Lowes sounds like a winner. What is the model nr of the unit you got?
Thanks.

GM
Grey Mountain. told you (and everyone else)wrong. The refer is a GE 18.6 CF counter depth French door with ice maker. Model number GEW19JGLBB. Fits in a 33 inch space.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get why a residential? What am I missing? It won't run on propane when you're not plugged in will it? Our 15 year old frig in our Class C works great, freezes ice cream and more. Even better after a burner replacement.
Jayco-noslide

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our Norcold 1200 with a Whirlpool WRS342FIA 22 cuft in 2013 and haven't looked back. We had to install a side by side since the reefer wasn't in a slide and didn't have enough room to open a drawer freezer. The dimensions on it are 32 3/8 deep without handle, 65 7/8 high and 32 3/4 wide. It fit in the old space with very little modification of the woodwork. The doors are completely outside the cabinet. That same model is probably not still available but you should be able to find the dimension guide available for most any model you wish. We also changed our 2000 watt MSW inverter out to a pure sine wave but many just install a 1000w PSW for the reefer only.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
In my class A I had a household refrigerator. Basicly went from power pole to power with it. Had a large battery bank and generator so could boondock when I wanted.

Now have a small Toyota and do more boondocking than hookups. Been thinking a house fridge would be nice, but having the propane available works out very well.

We never boondock. so an electricity-only fridge would work for us. We have had repeated problems with this unit.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We have an icemaker and water with the current unit, but not used. Lowes sounds like a winner. What is the model nr of the unit you got?
Thanks.

GM
Honda CR-V Toad
English Bride

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Having a whirlpool installed as I post this. It is 18 CF French doors with freezer on the bottom. Basically fits into existing space except have to lower floor one inch to get it in. Have to trim out about a half inch of space on either side of refer. It is a counter top depth with water dispenser inside refer and Ice maker in bottom freezer. Got it a Loweโ€™s hardware. Really did not care for water and freezer but thatโ€™s the way it came. Got black doors to match micro and stove. Should be finished by this next weekend. Anxious to try it out on a trip. Refer cost about $1700 and donโ€™t know the installation cost. Work is being done by my favorite independent RV tech.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you certain of the amp hour draw? Cost and model are only two of the considerations IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad