cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a flat TRAILER window: is auto glass what I need?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
My front window cracked, spontaneously. Nothing hit it. One morning, there was a little crack working in from an edge. I covered it with duct tape (we were on the road.) . The next morning, the crack extended across the narrow dimension of the rectangle. I slapped on more duct tape -- the window held together till we got home.

Of course, the glass is not covered by the extended warranty. I am pretty sure that I can safely remove the old window myself. A local auto glass shop told me to bring in the old window and they will cut me a piece to match, from a sheet of auto glass.

So that is my question -- is that the right stuff to use? Or maybe the glass they use in clear shower doors? I am not worried about the tint -- I can apply an after-market tint kit, which will be adequate.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
24 REPLIES 24

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!!! Very helpful.
About our trailer

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
You want standard tempered glass. Find a shop that specializes in windows and shower doors and they can make a template of the frame and order a new piece of tempered glass to install.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if auto glass is overkill, what is the right stuff to use? What is it called?

Again, thanks.
About our trailer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing wrong with Auto Glass for any window with very few exceptions. (THe window in an oven door would be such an exception)

IT is a bit more costly than regular window glass but it is also superior in nmy humble opinion, in several ways.

But... It is overkill for a trailer window.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the front window in the trailer -- it is always protected by the rock guard when we are in motion. If this had been the windshield of the truck, it would have been covered by insurance.

I suspect thermal shock was involved. I did not put any water on the window, but the trailer was parked all day in 105 degree heat with the air conditioning on full blast inside. We had to leave the trailer at an RV park all day for a family party, and we left the A/C on in order to keep our ice chest as cool as possible. The little crack appeared the next morning. The window never shattered, despite 1600 miles of rough Calif. freeways.

Judging by the answers so far, is there some other kind of glass (other than auto glass) that would do the job? I do not want to put in glass that is too thick -- it might not fit well into the frame and might cause a leak.
About our trailer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I was building Quicksilver I did handstands trying to price a 2' x 3' flat 1/4" laminate glass. The price was close to $3,000.00 32 years ago. So I robbed the laminate 1/4" glass from adjacent window and framed them in marine aluminum. Robbed panels from junked Crowns to blend.

Thickness is crucial to know. Tempered glass is a lot stronger than residential glass.

yA friend ignored my advice to not spray cold water on a hot motorhome windshield. He had to learn the hard way. It did not thermal shock crack until the following day.

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
I would think if it was on the trailer it would have been tempered glass but it would have shattered and not cracked. Laminite glass would work it is like your windshield on your vehicle.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are putting auto glass in your trailer, the only downside I can see if the weight. Auto glass will be a bit heavier than a normal window pane for your camper. But, I see no reason why it would not work, and probably work very well.

egregg57
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You didn't say, but is this the glass from one of the front passenger/driver windows, or from your trailer? It makes a difference.

I agree heartily!
AEC AW/SW E.J. Gregg USN Ret.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L Diesel
2015 Keystone Montana 3750FL Copper Patina
The Gregg Escape

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You didn't say, but is this the glass from one of the front passenger/driver windows, or from your trailer? It makes a difference.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"