cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing my microwave....

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace my over-range microwave with a convection/micro combo. What do I need to take into consideration when replacing it. Will any unit that fits that has venting work or are there systems of venting? Do I need a unit specific to RVs?

Thanks...
12 REPLIES 12

Ironfingers
Explorer
Explorer
Did your new microwave have the two diagonal rods that attached to the wall plate? I have been searching for one and can't find one with the two rods.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
The microwave I bought could be changed to vent any of the three ways. It is an LG brand. I suspect most are like that.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:
I replaced the micro wave in my unit. I found that most over the stove micro waves will fit. They also have two options for venting, well three actually. They will vent out the top or out the back, and can be switched between the two. They can also be made to be vented back into the room. Mine had a bracket on the wall that the micro hooked onto and bolts down through the cabinet above to hold it up.

That sounds like mine. I have some sort of vent above top but it also vents outside -- how do I know which mine is? If it vents outside does that mean I go with the "back" vent? It does look like most of the newer units will fit in the space.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the micro wave in my unit. I found that most over the stove micro waves will fit. They also have two options for venting, well three actually. They will vent out the top or out the back, and can be switched between the two. They can also be made to be vented back into the room. Mine had a bracket on the wall that the micro hooked onto and bolts down through the cabinet above to hold it up.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
If you do blow your light underneath...I've been using a black (matching) halogen lamp that clips onto the microwave handle. Not too hard on the eyes and I have light again over my stovetop. But the microwave is just old and gross I'd like to replace it.

cannesdo
Explorer
Explorer
Oy...thanks, All. I might just replace the microwave and call it a day. I don't cook much anyway and most of what I do is on the stovetop -- soups and sauces....and I do have an oven. My existing unit is pretty big. If anything getting a new one would probably increase the distance from the stovetop. It vents outside behind it and also has a grill on the upper edge with a cover with the long horiztal lines. Not sure what that does. Does that tell you anything? I have taken it off the wall before and to a shop to see if the light underneath could be fixed (never put the wrong bulb in there) and don't recall there being any metal sheeting. I'd probably need a kit if I went with the convection.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I have replaced two microwaves with convection types, one in my last motor home and one in my present unit.
Unless the one you get is designed for a built in installation and exhausts out of the front, or your current installation has a way of exhausting through the wall I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get.

In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones. When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.

Note that there are some minimum clearances in back and on the sides that must be met. You should make sure the convection micro you buy is small enough to allow for the proper clearances.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of my micros were home units and it's annoying (with frequent travel) that there is no battery backup for the clock. AFAIK there are no RV designed micros.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our combo unit is in a slide out and vents inside, an option on some units. It also mounts on a back plate and not from the top, another option. So venting and adequate support for the back plate need to be considered.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
check the depth avaiable. the microwave space in our TT isn't deep enough for a convection microwave. Every one I looked at was deeper than the existing cabinet.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
cannesdo wrote:
I want to replace my over-range microwave with a convection/micro combo. What do I need to take into consideration when replacing it. Will any unit that fits that has venting work or are there systems of venting? Do I need a unit specific to RVs?

Thanks...

back when I was looking at B vans, they had the microwave up in an overhead cabinet. if you got a microwave/convection it had to be in a lower cabinet due to heat buildup when mounted against ceiling. be very careful about this and provide adequate air circulation. check out a model of your RV that has the C/M option to see how they did it.
bumpy

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Wife wanted her micro lowered so she wouldn't have to lift heavy pans into micro without doing a bench press to get pan up and in. Found out that stove has to have either a 17 inch or 19 inch (can't remember which) clearance above stove. According to directions on replacement micro. Measured a few at RV show and must apply to RV's also. Returned micro and got money back and end of that project.

Not that anybody would inspect, but we figured there is a reason for exact clearance requirements.

Of course I've never seen stove police, (yet). And maybe convection is different?

Do I need a unit specific to RVs
We found one at Best Buy that fit, size and elec and trim that matched out interior. One at Lowes that would of worked but trim color did not match. Again maybe convection is different.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"