cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rogue MPT-3048 now available

lorelec
Explorer
Explorer
For those who've been waiting, just a heads-up that the 3048 is now available for ordering on the Rogue website.

http://www.roguepowertech.com/products/mpt3048.htm

If you've visited the page recently, you might have to refresh your browser to see the update.
34 REPLIES 34

mena661
Explorer
Explorer

hbski
Explorer
Explorer
no more mpt-3048

Other news: After a lot of deliberating, we've decided not to produce another run of the MPT-3048. The niche for a 30A MPPT controller is no longer what it was when Rogue first came out with one. We were one of about two companies in 2008 that sold a fully programmable 30A MPPT controller. Now there are at least three US-based companies and a handful of Chinese competition that have crowded the market, such that we can no longer economically manufacture the 3048. The MPT-2024 may also be discontinued after existing stock runs out, for the same reason (it is actually much less profitable than the 3048 is). We have a good supply of the 2024 right now, but will likely sell out this year. The flip side of all of this is that we have some ideas for designs that are presently not being produced by any manufacturer, and which have a strong potential to create a new niche for a smaller company like Rogue. Stay tuned this year for more details on what's to come!
'06 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC LB DRW
Ride-Rites, Hellwig, Torklift Tiedowns, Fast Guns, Superhitch
'07 Okanagan 117DBL

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
I understand things take time and there are other higher priorities
Looking forward to reading the document when it becomes available

lorelec
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:

Do you publish the Power Net interface protocol?
If not why not?
I looked through the web site and was not able to find the protocol document

Yes, it will be published. I've had others ask as well, just haven't had the time yet to document it properly.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
1. You define efficiency at a particular input and output voltage. What's missing is current.

I'm not knocking your actual efficiencies. They're great. It's just that the way it's presented is misleading.

2. The voltage and current measurement error spec is unconventional and useless. The displayed V & I measurements have significant errors. We went through this once before. The calculated output power was greater than the calculated input power. We know that's impossible.

Sal

lorelec wrote:

Sal, if you have any genuine critiques or questions, I'd be happy to entertain them. Nitpicking about non-issues doesn't qualify.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
lorelec
Nice looking new unit

A few questions
Do you publish the Power Net interface protocol?
If not why not?
I looked through the web site and was not able to find the protocol document

Good to see you mentioned the availablity of Multi-Phased units
At 30amps it likely adds too much additional cost with limited return, however anything above 30 amps multi-phased units do indeed offer efficiency increases throughout their operating current ranges.

From my POV the meter accuracy discussion is a non-issue so long as the meter reading is repeatable, which I assume it is

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mena661 wrote:
I don't own one but their customers like it. At least that's what I have read (in other forums....not sure who owns one here).

He does: this one. Posted a review a while ago, on FB and here.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
j.p.f. wrote:
well, bottom line: is it a good product worth the money it cost?

As noted, this is a new model, released a week ago after testing. Previous model 3024 had good reviews. With manufacturer being local, I don't expect much hassle with warranty - you won't have to ship it to China.

Assuming it is adequate for your system size and voltage - I don't see anything better at that price. The closest is MS45 with 50% more amps, 40% more money (if all same features are added), and blinking lights on the main unit. Or Bluesky 30 - same amps as Rogue, don't know about accuracy ;), and also more money.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
j.p.f. wrote:
I don't own one but their customers like it. At least that's what I have read (in other forums....not sure who owns one here). BTW, this one is a brand new model so probably not too many reviews yet. I was talking about their old one.

BFL13 wrote:

Mena, this has been going on for months if not years. Salvo just doesn't like the Rogue guy. The Rogue guy knows it. Gets old. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Salvo has been taking his civilization pills for quite some time now, and has been very helpful on a number of topics. I am especially grateful for some help in particular.

No idea why the Rogue guy gets up Salvo's nose. Just glad it's not me anymore with my "measurement errors." ๐Ÿ™‚
Ok. Didn't know about the history. Thanks.

j_p_f_
Explorer
Explorer

lorelec
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:
For us 12V guys, peak efficiency is at 70W. Regardless of battery system, peak efficiency is located at the low end of the charging current range, between 5 and 10A.

Peak efficiency for most regulators (with the exception of some multi-phase designs) is normally at the lower end of the range. That's because resistive losses increase with the square of the current. Double the current (to 10a) and you're still at almost 97%, double it again (20a) at you're at 95.6%. Worst-case (30a) you're still at about 94%. You make it seem as though anything other than the sweet spot is going to be terrible -- which, in reality, is not true at all.

lorelec
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:
Never heard that gain error is greatest at full scale. Can you provide a link? Are you saying the gain error is nonlinear? The gain is probably set by a couple of resistors connected to the error amp. These resistors are not perfect. They have a tolerance that more or less defines the measurement gain error.

You're thinking of an op-amp, whereby gain is set is set via external resistors. Input bias current in that case certainly makes the response non-linear. With an ADC, the difference between offset error (measured with zero input) and gain error (measured at full scale) does normally cause a non-linear transfer function. I'll leave it up to you if you want to find a link for it.

The whole object of the amp & volt measurement specification is to determine what's the possible error when reading let's say 5.0A. Are you saying it's impossible to determine this error without measuring it? What's the purpose of your spec? What's does 1% at 100A mean? Max current is only 30A.

I'm guessing your current measurement error is at best 3 to 10% of reading plus +/- 0.1A. 0.1A is LSD, not offset.

Sal

No, the purpose (at least in my case) was to give a maximum figure, which is greatest at full-scale. The current sensors are good to 100a, so that's why 100a was chosen as the full scale figure.

0.1A would be the resolution. The LSD, by definition, could be any number from 0-9.

Sal, if you have any genuine critiques or questions, I'd be happy to entertain them. Nitpicking about non-issues doesn't qualify.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
mena661 wrote:
I really don't understand what you're getting at Salvo. Are you trying to discredit Rogue or are you just asking questions?

Mena, this has been going on for months if not years. Salvo just doesn't like the Rogue guy. The Rogue guy knows it. Gets old. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Salvo has been taking his civilization pills for quite some time now, and has been very helpful on a number of topics. I am especially grateful for some help in particular.

No idea why the Rogue guy gets up Salvo's nose. Just glad it's not me anymore with my "measurement errors." ๐Ÿ™‚
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't understand what you're getting at Salvo. Are you trying to discredit Rogue or are you just asking questions?