cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon Coast in September

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning a first time trip up the Oregon Coast after Labor Day. Planning on 3 to 4 day stops at each of the following: Brookings/Gold Beach (Harris Beach SP), Bandon (Bullard's Beach SP), Depoe Bay, and Cannon Beach.

We have no agenda other than to relax and take in the sights. We do plan on a jet boat ride up the Rogue, otherwise we're open. Would appreciate any "Must See or Do" on the way. Like I said, this trip is to relax so I'm not looking for a long list of things, just ones that, in your opinion, shouldn't be missed.
2013 Evergreen Everlite 29RLW
2013 Ram Laramie diesel 4x4
Parties 10, Feeds 4, Sleeps 2
22 REPLIES 22

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
ksg5000 wrote:
This thread got me thinking so I tried to make reservations in Sept at Beverly Beach - no luck. Beginning to think that OP should focus on private campgrounds as State Parks are likely going to be difficult/impossible to use.

Just to wrap this up, DW just had a dental issue that will keep us around home through most of September. That and our similar experience making reservations has led us to move the trip to next year. Thanks to all for the advice.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
This thread got me thinking so I tried to make reservations in Sept at Beverly Beach - no luck. Beginning to think that OP should focus on private campgrounds as State Parks are likely going to be difficult/impossible to use.
Kevin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Bow picker... closed
Maritime Museum... closed.. says theyโ€™re open, but not
Boiler Bay overlook... closed
Roadside pullouts... closed
Very few sit down restaurants open, and definitely no free sardine samples.

That is the state of affairs up here on the Coast as of July 26th.

Might want to check to see what will be open before you make the trip. As we get closer to November, there will most likely be another lockdown, and more venues closed.

Currently the Tillamook Creamery is open weekdays by RESERVATIONS ONLY. We just visited today, we made our reservations on last Saturday so you need to plan ahead. The good news is that only 40 people are allowed in the building at once so a lot more room to shop and browse. Food service is take out only, no eating at the outside of the building have to eat in parking lot.
Tillamook Creamery
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Smart on doing the jet boats. You will get wet and have a blast. The ride is surprisingly smooth, but your butt gets a little tired.

Do at least the 80 mile trip. https://www.roguejets.com/ The two spots that they do the meal stops both have good food and decent prices.

Our go to place is Kimball's Creek. http://www.kimballcreek.com/ They are the only RV park on the river with a dock that Jerry's stops at. You can book at the park. Place is a little dated but clean, lot of full timers and great people.

If southbound GPS will route you off 101 north of Gold Beach on Edson Creek Road and it is a good county road.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Bow picker... closed

Might want to check to see what will be open before you make the trip. As we get closer to November, there will most likely be another lockdown, and more venues closed.

Whats Nov got to do with it? I thought the virus was contagious in any month.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fog and rain on the Oregon coast? That would be a bummer but not allowed when I'm visiting!

Years ago we stopped at a local WA coast market in pouring rain. We're in the car putting on hats and coats when a car pulled up and the locals in T shirts got out and were walking around in the rain. I said to DW - We're definitely not locals. :S
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

morley
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Oregon twice in September, however not with the pandemic thing in our way. If things open up and you decide to go this September there is definitely lots to see and do. The weather can be foggy and overcast or pure sun on September.
If things do open up the dunes in Florence are well worth seeing and doing. If restaurants are open the Bridgewater Fish House in Florence is a must (reservations probably required) In Newport Beach the Aquarium if open is a must, Live Oceans Cafe in the port area is great food if open, Nye Beach is worth a stroll in Newport.
Cape Perpetuia and the surrounding natural wonders are amazing. All the lighthouses are neat. Old Town in Bandon. It goes on and on. Probably one of the most beautiful drives along the coast is in the Yachats area.
If you are able to go yes the Oregon Coast is worth every minute of your trip, provided things are open due to our ongoing conditions.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago we spent 9 days at Harris mid September. It rained continuously for the entire 9 days. Just sayinโ€™
RVing since 1995.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Bow picker... closed

Maybe on the north coast, things are starting to open on the central coast. Several restaurants open for limited indoor seating, many carry out only still. Most pullouts from Newport south open.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

UtahBluegrass
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. A lot of food for thought which is what we like about having forums like this.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Bow picker... closed

Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting country. I like the towns with commercial fishing fleets.
Be ready for a lot of rain.
Sometimes being on the Coast is like living in a cloud.

morley
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Astoria has a fantastic Maritime Museum, Bow Picker across the street for fish and chips - always a line, $2 to ride the trolly with naration by the conductor. The Column is interesting but not high on our list. I've been kayaking on the Lewis and Clark River and Ft Stevens lake. Ft Stevens is a great CG and you can walk on the beach.

If the fish are running expect to see a thousland boats on the Columbia. The Columbia Bar BTW is the most dangerous in the world. About 300 major ship wrecks and the Maritime museum has a map. Kids love the museum.

Totally agree Astoria and the mentioned attractions are well worth it. Also as said before north to south on the Oregon coast is the best see way more things that way.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
At the East end of the trolly is a small free sardine museum out on the pier. And the Rogue Nation restaurant - yes we're definitely members.

The trolly is electric but no wires to dampen the views. Instead there is a generator on one end.

Wish I was there right now as we enjoy every visit.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob