Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Wrack Woes

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
CUT N SLOP REPLY EMAIL

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject
Bases For My Own Square Tubing Roof Rack

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Tom) 08/04/2016 07:57 AM
Hi David,

We do not have any towers that will be compatible with square bars. We also do not currently recommend roof weight exceeding 165lbs.

~Tom
9 REPLIES 9

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Mex
I didn't send THAT much stuff!
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Mex,
The intended location for this rack is your car, correct? Let us know what you're driving. Someone may have a good solution for you.

I wouldn't worry about Mr Rack Company's weight restriction. Most auto roofs will handle a lot more weight than 165 lbs.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
In my shoppings for used vans, I have seen several with contractor-style roof racks. They clamp onto the gutter with clamps that def do not look custom made for the model of van. They don't fit that well. This makes me think they might be available OTC in the states, at home depot or some such.

I have no idea whether this is helpful. They do look sturdy, though, and could likely be modified.

IIRC Mex is coming to the states soon for more maintenance work / upgrades.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Deleted

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own out of Stainless square tube. Or pay a fortune.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stainless+square+tube+fittings&biw=1438&bih=646&source=lnms&tbm=isch...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
He's been wracking his brain.

Had har!:B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's been wracking his brain.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking maybe Mex wants to know if any of us can suggest a source for supports for a DIY heavy duty roof rack he wants to build.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally don't understand what this is about or why it's posted. Could you give some background?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT