cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1200 LRIM not cooling on fresh side on propane

dextery
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Dutchstar with Norcold 1200 LRIM fridge. Dealer diagnosed as bad cooling tower. But before new cooling tower could be installed I had to have the over heating recall done. According to them, by Federal Law the recall had to be done before installing new cooling tower. Then new Norcold brand cooling tower installed. Work done last spring. Everything seemed to be working fine on shore power on first trip out. When we went boon docking, we found out after 5 days the fresh side was not cooling on propane and the ice box was starting to not make ice. Propane flame is bright blue as it was for 10 years. Dealer then diagnosed as being a bad circuit board. New circuit board installed. I took it home the unit and ran it on propane 5 days on propane only...checking about every four hours with thermometer and checking also the voltage of house batteries...always 12.6 or higher during the day as I have some solar panels on the roof. Same situation...except on one night it went to NO CO. Am totally level. Dealer is flummoxed. And evidently Norcold has been no help.

A few days ago, I was relating my woes to a friend and he said he has a friend who is out of the country now that had very similar problem. He searched the web and found somewhere that moving the location of the flame either forward of backward...my friend did not know which way...solved his problem.

Has anyone heard of such a fix on the 1200 LRIM?
Dexter/Cherie
2004 40ft Dutch Star | Spartan Chassis | ISL 370 HP Cummins | Quad Slide
Our Current Location
FMCA F306636 SKP 75602
4 REPLIES 4

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
i installed an amish cooling unit in 2014. last july, it went to no co.
i did all the resets on the circuit board, and the recall boxes.
still had no co. the norcold board had several very dark spots on it from overheating so, i replaced the circuit board with a dinosaur board, it worked, but it still didnt cool enough on lp.
i talked to the guys at pine refrigeration, and they recommended replacing the orifice and burner. they said it had enough corrosion inside the tube to cause the gas to not flow properly.
that worked. i now have 36 degrees with a 4 thermostat setting in the fresh food part of my frig. temp outside was in the 80's.
also for hot weather, make sure the fans are in working order. i now have two fans that are thermostatically controlled. when i pulled the refrig the first time, one of the fans was mounted upside down,
doug is right, clean burner and orifice are critical.and you cant adjust the burner. it only fits one way.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. NEW Norcold cooling units have the recall kit already installed. Have been for over 3 years. Never heard the term Cooling Tower.
2. LP pressure is CRITICAL for correct cooling on LP. Your dealer should have verified the LP pressure. If he did NOT, he has an incompetent Service dept.
3. Clean burner AND orifice is also critical.
4. "Moving the burner" is nonsense. Norcold Burners can ONLY be mounted and installed 1 way, with no variance.
5. The Burner has a BAFFLE that comes with a NEW Norcold Cooling unit. If they used an aftermarket CU, then they may not have transferred that baffle from the old CU. If they did NOT, then it will not cool on LP. The baffle is required for LP burner flame disbursement evenly on the burner flue.
6. If it works on 120 and does NOT on LP, then the baffle is what I would be looking at first.
7. The reason I think they used a NON Norcold Cooling unit is because of the statement about the recall that had to be installed. As I stated, IF you do not have the recall already installed and you are replacing the Cooling Unit with a Norcold Cooling Unit, that recall comes with the new Cooling unit. Doug

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
never heard of that fix!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
No.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do