cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rooftop material

MarcSnyder
Explorer
Explorer
Would a 2002 Four Winds Majestic have a TPO or an EPDM rooftop?

That stands for Thermoplastic Polyolefin and Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer, for those wondering. Two different types of single-ply roofing materials.

Also, don't tell me to look at my owner's manual: I already have ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

MarcSnyder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. And to answer BFL13's comment: that's exactly why I'm asking ๐Ÿ™‚

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Flan wrote:
Do they both get chalky? If I walk or kneel on mine, I become very white quickly.
Chalky is most likely EPDM. The white part sluffs off over time.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you intend to use the product, Liquid Rubber (LR) on it, you must know if it is TPO, which LR will not stick to well (see their instructions). That product is for EPDM. Even with that you still need to use their special prep stuff, which greatly helps the LR stick to the EPDM.

I used LR on my 1991 which had some kind of deteriorated white on both sides "rubber" on it, that I took to be TPO. However some info says TPO came out in the early 90s, so I don't know if a 1991 RV would have it. Anyway the LR ( just that with no EPDM prep stuff) stuck so I got away with it.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Do they both get chalky? If I walk or kneel on mine, I become very white quickly.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
EPDM is a 40 mil thick black on white roofing material which is a bit heavier due to the higher concentration of rubber. TPO is lighter due to a higher concentration of synthetic material in a 30 mil thickness, and it is a white on white roofing material. Both products are of the highest quality and come with similar warranties from the manufacturer - over 10 years for each one.
TPO roofs negative may be as they age, they become less flexible and can actually crack open. This is the main factor that limits their lifespan. But with the 15 year manufacture warranty this is not a major issue for most buyers. Since TPO is a slightly cheaper option, it's very popular with todays RV owner.

EPDM rubber only negative including the absorbing sunlight and has occasionally seen moisture leakage. It's a strong material that tends to last a bit longer and is durable especially with a hail storm..

In conclusion, both products are very high quality and will help protect your RV roof greatly. The EPDM rubber is a bit thicker, but the TPO is more reflective. We have a chart below that breaks down both products. Doug

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a surefire way to tell,watch This Video

Welcome to the Forum,being new here you may not have seen This Thread

There are many Majestic owners there and they may be of help to you on any other questions that you might have.

Stop on by and join up with more 140 Former Rental Owners.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You can remove the inner trim for one of the vents which will allow you to see the edges of the material, where it was cut to fit the opening. EPDM will be white on top, and black on the bottom.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE