Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rubber Roof Maintenance

grantcallahan
Explorer
Explorer
2007 40' Jayco Recon Toy Hauler

I bought my toy hauler 2 years ago and love every bit of it. I consider myself pretty handy and like to do whatever work I can myself instead of paying someone else.

So, my rubber rough is rougly 7yrs old and have to assume (because I dont know) that there has never been any maintenance applied to it. I cleaned the roof this past fall with the Camco rubber roof cleaner and the roof appears to be pretty clean, white, and in good shape. But I understand roofs can be 'bad news' if you don't pay them the appropriate attention.

QUESTION: Should I seal my roof? Brand? If so, is this something I do every 3-5 years? Besides basic painting instructions, any specific tips on painting, cleaning roof prior to, etc? I periodically go up there and look around the seams to ensure the caulking is in good shape, etc.
10 REPLIES 10

grantcallahan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your feedback. Greatly appreciated!
Grant

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
This is the correct answer. Any dirty coating on the roof is nothing but a protector. Any cleaning other than a water hose, especially w/ any kind of a harsh soap, is just washing a little more of your roof down the drain (or on the ground)
Yep. I had one for 15 yrs, never a problem.

ScottG wrote:
There's no need to even clean it, which will simply wear it faster. The only "Maintenance" is to make sure the sealant at the seams is in good shape.
The material is meant to be ignored its whole life and requires no other maint.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
great question, and answers
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use Spic & Span but ....

Should you re-seal

Only if there is evidence you need to

What is evidence.. Leaks of course.. or visible cracking (Which you stated you did not have).

The only chemical I use on the roof is Spic & Span, treat it much like the kitchen floor in my mother's house (Save I do not wax the roof)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's no need to even clean it, which will simply wear it faster. The only "Maintenance" is to make sure the sealant at the seams is in good shape.
The material is meant to be ignored its whole life and requires no other maint.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roof material is pretty durable, my TH is of similar age and roof looks great. I am more concerned with caulking at the seams and other roof penetrations as we get lots of sun and cracking is an ongoing issue.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
No! Clean it and forget it. A little soap, bleach and water is all you need to keep it looking good for years. Every time you clean it check all the places where there is caulking. If it looks to be cracking or drying out, take steps to redo.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
x2. So long as it looks good and you clean it a couple of times a year, you don't have anything to worry about. Our last trailer was 10 years old when we traded and the roof looked like new.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
grantcallahan wrote:
QUESTION: Should I seal my roof? Brand? If so, is this something I do every 3-5 years? Besides basic painting instructions, any specific tips on painting, cleaning roof prior to, etc?
no ,no,no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Clean thoroughly twice a year. Inspect and seal seams as necessary. The roof material unless it is damaged should last 12-15 years.